We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled

Birmingham
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Disabled

Can you please advise is chania or any other areas are suitable for someone with mobility issues.

I have walking problems and also find hills and steps a problem. I can manage slight inclines and if necessary, can use a wheelchair for distances but would prefer somewhere flat.

Thanks

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled

Hi

Although I have been hundreds of times in Chania, I can't really remember the conditions of the pavements for those who have mobilitiy issues. Chania is generally flat, and has a small incline towards the old town and venetian port. I believe you will have no problem since it is pedestrianised during the summer too.

Also do not hesitate a trip to Rethymnon (1h drive), which is the last few years very "mobility issues friendly" with new large pavements, small inclines and pedestrianized old town too during the summer.

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled

The old town of Chania is not really flat but it's not very steep either. The old town has been partly pedestrianized so it should be OK but the new town is terrible for push chairs, prams and wheelchair users.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled

The old town slopes upward from the harbour. The main street leading away from it, Halidon, is a not especially steep hill, but quite long. The old streets behind the harbour are not very steep, but there are steps here and there. They're quite narrow and can be busy in the high season.

It would be a good idea to stay at one of the hotels on the harbour, which is completely flat, and on which you can stroll comfortably. One option is the Porto Veneziano, a modern hotel which is at the eastern, quieter, end of the harbour.

http://www.portoveneziano.gr/

Edited: 30 March 2014, 11:35
Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled

Sticking to the harbour is a good option. Another advantage of Porto Veneziano is that you can bring a car right in front of it (if you really have to) and park fairly close by.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled

It can't be denied that Chania, although a beautiful city, does have a steady slope upwards from the harbour. Also some parts of the Old Town can be accessed only via steps.

I agree with gerlion that Rethymnon may be more suitable. Much of the Old Town, the new town and the long coastal promenade are virtually dead flat. The only exception, unfortunately, is the tip of the peninsula, from the Ideon Hotel to the Fortezza.

However, the OP could enjoy seeing the Fortezza from the outside, either by walking or in a wheelchair alongside the sea, or by a ride on the hop-on-hop-off bus (unfortunate name, I guess <g>) which would also allow the OP to see the countryside.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled

Thank you for your many responses, it is much appreciated. I will take a look at Rethymnon as suggested.

By the way exgeordie67, I can forgive you in thinking i'm an OP, which i assume means Old Person. I'm not quite that old yet. :) but thank you for replying.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled

Chania and Rethymnon are both lovely,hope you have a lovely holiday. Just to clarify - OP means Original Poster,or the person who started the thread with a question, not Old Person.

You are certainly not the first "OP" to think what you did! :)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disabled

Thank you for clarifying fiznlil, i apologise to exgeordie, i did'nt take offense anyway. By the way i'm originally from Leeds.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disabled

No need to apologise, it's an easy mistake to make. I found your remark quite funny, actually.

Incidentally, OP can mean "original post" as well as "original poster". Which is meant is usually clear from the context.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disabled

A small part of the old town is hilly, but unfortunately for me these are the best parts. Nevertheless, with a bit of aid, it is possible to go up except some few cases.