We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete in July

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Crete in July

Flying to Chania on July 3 with husband, both in our 50s and son of 16 for 2 weeks.

Booked B& B for 2 nights, planning to hire car and see sights, walk gorge, spend some time on beach. Should we book more accommodation or will it be easy to find places to stay as we travel round? Planning to catch ferry to Santorini for few days - same question should we book accommodation beforehand or find somewhere when we get there?

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete in July

Book ahead if you want specific accommodation or type of accommodation. We have driven around the island from one end to the other and have never failed to find somewhere to spend a night or two, but we're not fussy, providing the bed is clean and the toilet works, that's fine. We do tend to go in May or September, so I can't guarantee situation in July, but if you stray too far from tourist routes and are prepared to be adventurous.

We usually find that asking in local shop will get you some information.

Best of luck - have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete in July

You may find this helpful:

www.sfakia-crete-forum.com/read.php?3,873

I would probably have said in any year that in July it is wise to book ahead, though of course it depends on where you want to stay, and how particular you are about accommodation. This year I certainly would advise booking ahead.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete in July

You should definetly book for Santorini !! It will be very difficult to find something from the caldera side. Orelse try Kamari and Perissa, near the beaches and more cheap. For Crete you still can find rooms but it would be better to book where this is possible form internet just in case. After all it's july, the beginning of the high season.

Enjoy your trip !

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete in July

The record numbers of bookings I think apply to accommodation booked in advance by tour companies. I think in Crete in early July you would still find private rooms and apartments to rent in smaller, less developed places outside of the popular tourist resorts. In most villages you you will see signs for rooms, or as suggested above just ask at the local shop or taverna. We "winged it" in Crete in August once and although we sometimes had to spend quite a bit of time asking around, we never had to sleep in the car! We did have to compromise, sometimes staying in more expensive or on the other hand more basic accommodation than we might have liked. But all clean and comfortable! If you don't want to risk it, look on booking.com for accommodation. As said above, I believe Santorini is heaving in July so definitely book.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 14:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete in July

I agree with 2bristolians that you would probably find accommodation wherever you go as long as you aren't too fussy, but they will forgive me (I hope) for pointing out that they, like me, are experienced Crete-travellers, and know the ropes, and wouldn't be fazed if they arrived somewhere as it was getting dark and couldn't immediately find a place to stay.

As you are coming to Crete for the first time, I think you would be more comfortable booking ahead. But if you're prepared for a little frisson of insecurity each evening before you find a bed to settle into, I'm sure you will find one.

Santorini: definitely book ahead.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete in July

Alabastron is quite right as usual !! And I've just realised you will have a 16 year old in tow, which might mean a bit more peace of mind and a bit less of a frisson would be preferable...

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crete in July

>Alabastron is quite right as usual !! <

What a nice compliment: thank you. I only wish it were true.

The fewer frissons the better, as far as I'm concerned (where accommodation is concerned). I like my frissons during the day, in mid-exploration, knowing where I'm going to lay my head that night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crete in July

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Booked 3 nights in Santorini and all but 4 nights in Crete too, we'll have a car so will try to go away from most crowded spots and find the "real" Crete. Can't wait! thanks again for your help! will let you know how we get on,

9. Re: Crete in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 07:16