We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

Hi I am shortly heading to Crete for the first time with my wife & 13 year old son, staying in Orestis Hotel in Ano Stalos which I believe is close to Chania Town & I am looking for all the info I can arm myself with before we travel, mainly best value car hire, places to go, restaurants to visit all the usual stuff, just till we get our feet on the ground. We have previously been to Zante, Rhodes & Kos & love Greece & am sure Crete will not disappoint. Looking forward to the replies. Thanks, Padraig

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

Hi there,

Orestis hotel is located at Ano Stalos (better said at the "upper" - in therms of up the hill- part of Stalos area), about a km or two from the beach line. From chania city it is more or less about 10 kms, easy to go and return there (there is one road that connect these areas, the old National road, alond the coast line. As soon as you are entering Stalos area on that road, from Chania city to Stalos-Agia Marina, etc, on the first traffic light that you will find (you will see on your left "Maria's' taverna) turn left, drive up the road that you will go into, as you pass under a bridge eventually, go to the right and in 500meters you will find Orestis on your right hand side).

I haven't stayed there myself but some customers of mine and i've heard good reviews on the hotel. -1 for not being "on the beach" but +1 for being at a really peaceful part of Stalos area, away of the main road, the noises, etc.

A few meters before and a few meters after Orestis, there are two exceptional tavernas that you can have really a taste of the local cuisine, Leventis and Merovigli tavernas (among the few of the area that runs on winter time for the locals too). I go there myself, to both of them.

As far as places to go in general, Chania city for sure (the old Venetian part of it) and a couple of day trips to the "popular" beaches of the prefecture (Elafonissi, Falassarna and Balos) would be enough i guess, if you are one a week time holiday with a relaxing mood in it. Apart for that there are quite a few options (Crete is Big!) but as said, it all depends on the time you'll be here and how much you want to trip around.

Have fun and come back again some time afterwards!

Edited: 07 July 2014, 23:09
2. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 14:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

I know you posted at precisely the same time as Kostas, and hadn't seen his informative post, but assuming you've now seen it, why don't you say "thank you"?

4. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 14:36
Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

I had considered giving you the benefit of 20 years visiting the Chania area, but seeing your response to Alabastron, find out for yourself like we had to!

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

Oh dear, you have just P***d off one of the most helpful, experienced, kind people on this board, who is always very generous with information & spends a lot of time to help people enjoy Crete. don't think you'll be getting much more help now. & Kostas who gave you the previous very useful advice is a local man, highly regarded in the community, so not to thank him wasn't a good idea either.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

I'm blushing, JWugg. Thank you! But don't worry: I don't take this sort of thing seriously, and am not P***d off. I'm sure Kostas isn't either.

To think it's stupid to say "thank you" for help given is....well....no, that's too easy, isn't it?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

lol Alabastron

In fact, Padraig posted at the same time of night, but almost a month after Kostas! So even less of an excuse!

I guess the answer is that yes, lots of people go to Crete, but not many go to Ano Stalos.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

Apologies to everyone who has posted since my last post. I did not mean to offend anyone, I was just genuinely disappointed that I had only received one response to my request put up over a month ago. If you look at other people that I have interacted with on Trip Advisors in the past & contributions I have made you will see I am grateful for any advice & I also happily give information to places I have been if I can. I am grateful to Kostas & appreciate the time he took to provide information unfortunately he was the only one who took the time to offer any advice.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orestis Hotel, Ano Stalos & Chania Town

OK, fair enough, but surely you can see that your reply in no. 4 was bound to cause offence....

Will you have a car all the time you're there?

Suggested trips - you are within walking distance of Agia lake, in fact as far as I can see I think you're more or less on the route of the Agia lake walk in this book:

amazon.co.uk/Western-Crete-Walks-Landscapes-…

The book also has a lot of car routes, so very useful I would say, even if you don't want to walk.

Orther ideas - visit the south coast at least once, drive up to Omalos and the start of the Samaria gorge, visit Georgioupolis and lake Kournas, go to Balos and Gramvousa by boat trip, go to Rethymnon for the day etc etc.

Some photos here:

http://tinyurl.com/owqqsga