We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

It is difficult to see postings for concerts prior to arrival. Can anyone tell me what concerts (traditional music) are scheduled for 10 - 31 August? Thank you very much. I really look forward to your replies!

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
80 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

On the evening of the Thursday the 14th of August at the Chrisoskalitissa Monastery there is a religious festival that is standard every year. A lot of local people go there to the church and afterwords they go at the tavernas in the village. There is always traditional music that goes on till late (they start after 9.00pm). Perhaps you can combine that with a swim at Elafonisi and on your way back vist the monastery and after all that you look around in the village in the tavernas and you ask where is the traditional music. Don't be reserved just go and ask you will be most welcome!!!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

Hi

If you are interested there is a concert of a very skilled Cretan musician, in the castle of Fortezza in Rethymnon, just an hour drive from Chania.

Here is a link, it's in Greek but the date is in English too:

rethymno.gr/sharedfiles/content/events2014/s…

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

66Nicolas, I didn't realize that the Chrisoskalitissa Monastery had a panagiri on 14, August. In recent years, we've gone to Anopolis for the Celebration of the Panagia, but Chrisoskalitissa is a beautiful monastery and it's a good suggestion! If we can't spend the night in Elafonisi, are there any 15, August celebrations in Chania Town or nearby villages, where we'd be welcome?

gerlion....that is exactly the type of concert I was looking for! I've copied the 13/8 information on Teatro Erophili. Thank you very much!

Thank you both for your replies. I'll gratefully accept any additional suggestions; we take our music seriously! :-)

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

gerlion,

Thank you for posting the venue for the concert in Rethymnon. I had discovered that this musician was playing in Rethymnon and Palaiochora but we were undecided which one to go to as I couldn't find the venues. An evening at the Fortezza will be amazing and we can always go down to Palaiochora as well!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

Hi again,

Gillian and DHG, I don't know where are the concerts in Palaiochora are held, but Fortezza is a really fantastic place, for you to be, especially in August. There are concerts, theatrical acts, music events held almost every day there. Here is the program: kritopolis.gr/kalokairino_programma_ii.pdf

Another very good concert that I found is in Chania on the 10th of August which is on full moon.

There is a concert of a skilled Cretan musician too. He plays the violin and not lyra. The violin is accustomed to be played in the west Crete. It is held near the venetian port of Chania in the bastion San Salvatore. I'm sure you'll like it

http://www.festivalaki.gr/el/

Edited: 30 July 2014, 16:55
DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

gerlion....thank you very very much! We arrive in Chania on the 10th so I've copied the information. We'll definitely be there! :-)

I cannot open the kritopolis.gr summer program pdf on my pc; not exactly sure why, but I'm working on it!

Having this advance information will ensure that we get to hear more music this time. Thanks again!!!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

DHG, try opening the file in Chrome or Firefox, I had that kind of problems with IE.

Your welcome, I hope you'll enjoy it!

Off to a concert myself too now, in the castle of Fortezza.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 18:49
DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

gerlion, Chrome worked great - thank you! What an awesome schedule! In addition to Mixalis Tzoiganakis, the Stavros Xarhakos and Ilias Palioudakis concerts look good too.

I was happily surprised to see a concert of Theodorakis/Xatzidakis music scheduled for 25, August. Do you know anything about the orchestra performing? Can't get any more traditional than Mikis and Manos! ;-)

Hope you had a great time at the concert tonight. Thank you for all of your time and effort to give me this information!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

Hi there again, the conscert was great under a night sky full of stars, almost no moon last night.

DO NOT miss the Stavros Xarhakos one. He's considered to be a music genious, no less important to Greek music than Theodorakis or Hatzidakis. Listen to this and find out why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MFkbq73jgs

The consert of Theodorakis and Hatzidakis is also very very good. Vasilis Lekkas is one of the best performers of their songs.

I have no opinion about Ilias Palioudakis

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
766 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concerts/Venues for Traditional Music

Hi,

Every year there are panigiria in the same places as every year. The problem are dates..I would also suggest to visit the panigiri of Lakki , an authentical mountaineering panigiri around 20 august that is not as touristic Anopoli's panigiri.

But maybe is better to arrive first and look at the posters.

You can also ee the concerts in the village of Armenoi, by the river, in Tzitzikas https://el-gr.facebook.com/tzitzikasarmenoi

And of course the concerts of the august's full moon where all the arceological sites are open and offer good music ,like in Aptera or Roca in Kissamos.

Enjoy your stay!