We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

samaria gorge

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
samaria gorge

Hi we are going to Crete in 3 weeks time and would like to do the gorge walk. We have car hire and wondering whether to drive to Sougia and stay the night before for an early start or do a coach trip instead. Any tips or advice ? Also we would like to go to Balos and wondered if its easy to drive to or again better to do an organised tour. Many thanks :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: samaria gorge

Sougia is the best starting point for the Samaria gorge, because the return trip is so easy - just an hour's ferry journey from Agia Roumeli at the end of the gorge - but this is true only if you are staying in Sougia.

If you're staying in Chania, there is no point in driving to Sougia just for the early start you want: you can just as easily do it from Chania by taking the earliest of the public buses to Omalos. Having walked the gorge, you'll then have a ferry trip to Chora Sfakion and a two-hour bus journey back to Chania.

On the other hand, a few days in Sougia would be a pleasure, if you have the time.

It isn't wise to drive to Balos unless you have a 4x4: an ordinary car is too easily damaged, and you wouldn't be insured for it. Do an organised excursion.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 22:32
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: samaria gorge

Thankyou very much for that. Any ideas of a reputable company to try for excursions ? And cost of bus trips to Samaria gorge ?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: samaria gorge

I did the gorge on Sunday and I found out that the organized tour was a waste of money. I paid 28 EUR to the organizer and then I had to pay additional 9 (the boat o Sougia)+5 (the entrance to the gorge) EUR. I somehow thought that the organized bus would arrive to Omalos before public buses. It turned out that it left Chania at 6.15 and then stopped for half an hour at a taverna just before Omalos. The guide turned to be a rather difficult guy knowing everything about everything and boasting about his 1600 walks down the gorge.

It is much better and cheaper to take the 6.15 public bus to Omalos from Chania (7 EUR), then do the gorge (extremely straightforward and easy, you do not need a guide, you have to pay 5 EUR for the entrance). The boats to either Sougia or Chora Sfakion leave Ag. Roumeli at 17.30 and the public buses to Chania (about 8 EUR) wait for the boats to arrive.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 10:02
Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
772 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: samaria gorge

The main advantage of taking an excursion bus is that it will pick you up and drop you at or near your hotel. If you don't need that then it's really not a bad idea to do it yourself.

1600 walks down the gorge? What's the name of that guy?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: samaria gorge

Marjan is right: you don't need an organised excursion (unless you're staying outside Chania, in which case you might want to be picked up). Just go to the Chania bus station and get on the earliest bus. Get there early: it can be a bit of a scrum for tickets.

Buy your ferry ticket as soon as you get to Agia Roumeli, to avoid a possible scramble later on before the ferry leaves. The journey to Sougia is longer (an hour) than the journey to Chora Sfakion (half an hour), but more spectacular.

You need good shoes, with thick soles and good grip, and something to eat: there is nowhere in the gorge to buy food. You only need a small bottle of water, which you can refill from the springs at the various resting places.

Enjoy the walk: it's unique. And take your time: don't rush.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 10:21
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: samaria gorge

Thankyou very much for all of the info i really appreciate it. I think we will go by public bus as it seems quite straight forward.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: samaria gorge

I would like to know how much i will have to pay for the boat to Chora Sfakion ? thank you, yaela

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: samaria gorge

The Gramvousa Balos Cruises leave from Kissamos at 10:00 am and return at 5:45 pm. They used to have an afternoon boat that left at 1 pm, but I'm not sure if that's still on the schedule. Their website is: http://www.gramvousa.com There is a 3 euro discount if you book ahead on-line, but sometimes it's best to wait and check on the weather before you commit to a specific date. It's a very interesting day with some great photo ops. We had tried the dirt road and Alabastron is right; it's rough!

Tip: We enjoyed the trip better on the smaller boat. The last time we went it was on the larger boat, filled with tour group tourists that seem to prefer the sunbathing rather than the sites and were basically treating the day as though it was a cruise.....once we got a place to sit on deck......it was ok. I don't think that they give you any choice on the boat, but if offered I'd recommend taking the smaller one.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: samaria gorge

Yaela, the fare on ANENDYK Lines AGIA ROUMELI - HORA SFAKION is 10 euros per adult. You can find the complete schedule for the Southern Coast on their website.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: samaria gorge

correction: 11 euros www.anendyk.com