We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

We are a family of five and will be visiting Greece in the last week of October. We plan to travel from Chania to Santorini by sea.

Are there any ferry companies that you could recommend? What is the best route?

When can we book the tickets?

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

Unfortunately, there is no ferry from Chania to Santorini. You'll have to look for ferries from Heraklion to Santorini. The tickets are about 55 euro per person for a high speed ferry that takes a little over 2 hours.

Here's a great resource that breaks down your options:

http://santorinidave.com/crete-to-santorini

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
699 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

There is no ferry from Chania to Santorini, I believed that there were ferries from Rethymnon, but at present I can't find any, perhaps they have been discontinued. I hope someone else can help you with this. It may be that you will have to go from Heraklion. Good luck.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

As has been mentioned there aren't any ferries from Chania to Santorini. There are occasional boats that go there from Rethymnon but only in the main season and these are aimed at excursion traffic. The same, more or less, applies to Heraklion to Santorini so by the end of October these seasonal ferries have stopped running. You are then stuck with the ANEK Lines Prevelli which calls about once a week, on a Saturday I think, and that gets you into Santorini about 1am.

If you have to go to Santorini in late October you may be forced to take a flight which probably will be via Athens.

If I have missed something someone else will be along soon to correct me.

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

Thank you. The link had clear information.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

The information provided in the useful link provided by Joey E is a little out of date inasmuch as The Prevelli is now scheduled for a Sunday and not the Saturday mentioned but the sailing times are current. Also it would pay you to be aware that the Flyingcat 4 is one of the smaller catamarans and as such will be prone to a bumpy ride in bad weather and in extreme weather will also be subject to cancellation as is the case with all the smaller cats.

I have included a link to the ANEK website where you can keep up to date with the sailing dates and times should you need them. Link here web.anek.gr/portal/page/portal/ANEK_prod

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,079 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

Hi,

The link given by 1. is out of date.

There are no ferries from Chania you have to go to Heraklion.

It is so late in the season that you are probably just left with only the 'Preveli' on Sundays 18:05.

The Hellenic Seaways catamaran stops by 20 October according to current schedules, it may continue on until end of October, you'll have to wait and see, same with the 'Preveli' however that is very likely to continue as it is an all year route.

…anek.gr/anek_prod/…Brochures_300_en_v17.pdf

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/

The alternatives are to fly Chania to Athens and back out again to Santorini.

http://www.skyexpress.gr/

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

As far as I know there are no ferries connecting Chania to Santorini. You would have to drive to Heraklion (about 160 km from Chania) to catch the ferry from there. Check this link out, you will find all the information that you need http://santorinidave.com/crete-to-santorini . I however recommend calling the companies that do the route to check for any amendments since the end of October is the end of the touristic season in Greece and the services in general are not as often as they are during the season. You could book your tickets from this website http://www.viva.gr/ (and then you have to pick your tickets up from any travel agency by providing the reservation number / details) or any travel agency in Chania.

Have a great time!

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

Hi,

You can only go from Heraklion by ferry 4 hours the most cheap choice (Anek lines eveery sunday and wednesday) or by catamaran (highspeed jet, flying cat).

Have a nice time!

Lodz Province...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

Hello!

Can I buy tickets for ferry/catamaran (form Heraklion to Thira) in agency in Chania? Could you recommend me any agency?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chania to Santorini - Ferry ?

Ana - Yes you can buy your tickets from any Agency now that all ticket sales for ferries are computerised.

Just a tip for you. When you want to ask a new question it is best to open a new thread instead of posting the question on a thread started by someone else on another (slightly) different subject. You will get a better response then.