We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day trips in and around Elounda

Manchester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best day trips in and around Elounda

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are coming to Elounda at the end of June (can't wait its looks amazing!) and we are staying at the Elounda Village.

I just wondered peoples thoughts on the best day trips?

Thanks

Manchester
Level Contributor
690 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

Can I start negative first? Our first time to Elounda we went on a "mini-cruise" to Santorini. Mini-cruise my ar*e!! It's too far and we spent over ten hours on a naff ferry.

Anyway. Samaria Groge is a nice but hard trip only suitable for the (quite) fit and mobile. Spinalonga is a good trip too, suggest an early boat and that you take some water with you as it certainly gets hot.

Plaka is a short taxi ride (or happy train ride) and there's a nice quiet stoney beach and some restaurants.

Ag Nik is a nice place and handy too. Sitea and Lerepetra are further afield but Sitea is really nice.

Excuse spelling - have a bit of a hangover.

DA

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

The george is a long drive away.... and if you do that I would suggest you stay overnight there... has taken us c3-4 hours to get to Chania.....stopping for lunch / admiring the views of the western side of the island - which is so very different to the eastern coastline.interior....

Sitia is again very different - and also a long drive.. when we last visited 2004 the raod was not good....very windy ..I dont know whether with e.u money they've managed to replace it with a new one... Any thoughts on that D ??

Knossos I would suggest for a day... thats if you have not been to crete before.... but take sun lotion and water there.. it's very hot walking around that site..

"The Boy" has given you some very nice local suggestions....totally agree with him..... if you like walking /exploring... take a walk up into the mountains behind Elounda.. up to Mavrikano.. find the old cemetry with the british pilots whose plane went down in mirobello bay in the 20's! Go up to Kato Elounda..and wander the little street... down in Plaka again explore either by car or walk... many years ago we walk up the mountain at the back of plaka and found what we could only describe as a dead village... lovely old derilict house.... beautiful church still in a good state ... anyway several years later we did the treck again- by car this time.. and guess what -it's been renovated! .. but the views are breath taking...

you may like to visit http://www.makeitgreece.net/ this is where elounda lovers share their experiences...

I do hope you enjoy and love elounda as much as we do....

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

sorry meant to say Irapetra...down on the south coast.. personally dont like it...has a black beach ..volcanic sand I think....

How about The Lasíthi Plateau, located in the Prefecture of Lasithi in Eastern Crete, is one of the highpoints of Crete, both in altitude and atmosphere.... they say there's 10,000 white sales of windmills... never spotted them myself.. but the region is fantastic...

A walk over to the island of Konokeithi.. spelling incorrect .. sorry!.. go over the top early before the tourist boats arrive -theres a lovely little beach with super blue water..... quite romantic!!! but not when the boats are in..

Thats it...

oh no -- a trip up to Kritsa.. village in the mountains at the back of Aghios Nikolaos.... great leather bags / table cloths... jewellry... worth a trip in my book .. nice old fashion village...

Manchester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

Thank you for taking the time for such informative and helpfull replies.

Much appreciated.

Getting very exicited to visiting elounda!!!!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

Elounda is amazing. I bet this won't be your last visit.

My advice is to avoid organised trips altogether - either use a hire car or better still, use the Cretan bus service (KTEL). The buses are really modern and vastly superior to any network here in Britain.

Best places to visit are:

1. Heraklion - Visit the museum in the centre and take a taxi from right outside the museum to Knossos - the ancient Minoan palace. Organised tours to Knossos are quite expensive and totally unnecessary.

2. Ierapetra - South coast city. Bus direct from Aghios Nikolaos doesn't take long.

3. Kritsa - A tiny mountainside village about twenty minutes away from Aghios Nikolaos. Regular buses. It looks like something from a postcard.

4. Spinalonga - No brainer really. You can't miss it. Take the boat from Elounda and NOT Aghios Nikolaos - trust me.

5. Walk from the centre of Elounda down towards the Salt Flats and walk across the little bridge (past the windmill). Stick to the dirt road for about twenty minutes and it will bring you out at an amzing little beach. Paradise. Best to do this one early in the morning though because it gets HOT!

Hope this helps! Also, be sure to check in at Babel's bar in the centre of Elounda. Its the best bar in the Med if you ask me!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

Hi Raydar.....I'm interested in your comments re Kritsa....as my mum in law (in 80's) is visiting next month and altho she's been up to kritsa loads of times with us - in a car - she and her friend are not driving!

By bus... have you done this and presumably you went via Aghios..and changed buses there.....for 2 old ladies how difficult would you say it was please?

I wondered about them catching the bus into Ag Nic..and then getting a taxi from there to Kritsa.. but it would be expensive I think...

Cheers

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

Find a timetable which shows the buses to Kritsa - should be on the KTEL/Minoan Lines website. All you need to do is catch the bus from Elounda and stay on the bus until it reaches the bus station (which is about a half mile outside the centre of Aghios). The bus to Kritsa leaves from the bus station and doesn't stop in the centre of Aghios Nikolaos. It takes about twenty minutes.

This should be an easy trip for your mother in law - most of the people on the bus are elderly women returning from morning shopping trips to Aghios Nikolaos. The return bus from Kritsa stops just near the beach in the centre of Aghios.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

P.S. Yes I have made this trip lots of times. Hope this helps.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

yes Raydar it does help thank you..altho we're very experienced with the area.. bus's are something we've hardly ever used... so thank you for your experience...

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best day trips in and around Elounda

Raydar - got the infomration thank you...

the site i used was

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetables11.html

excellent information for anyone thinking about using the bus service....