We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sitia or Ierapetra

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Sitia or Ierapetra

Hi all

I'm not desperate to get on the beach during my time in Elounda, but I wondered if someone could advise me whether it would be worth taking a day trip to one nearby.

We drove through Sitia on a previous occasion and it looked fab, but I can't remember how long it took us to get there and wondering if it's worth the hike.

The other alternative looks to be Ierapetra, which looks not quite so far away but hasn't had great reviews.

Could someone advise, please?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Ierapetra
Ierapetra
Crete, Greece
Manchester
Level Contributor
690 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sitia or Ierapetra

Only been to Sitia once and it was a trek. Did not see the beach so can't say worth it or not.

Great beaches at Rethymnon, but it is a trek and a bit.

Elounda beaches ok-ish. Placka has nicer sea but big pebbles and rocks.

Now, have you seen the little beach at Mochlos on the road to Sitia - only about 40 mins away and some nice little restaurants? Beach is only about 100metres long, if that, but it's nice, real nice.

Just a thought. Great beaches at Rethymnon thou'

DA

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Caversham, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sitia or Ierapetra

2 different coast lines, a relatively short distance between them. Rent a car and base in both.

Sitia is probably a more interesting town and the beaches around town are better. However, a short distance from Ierapetra, there are some very nice beaches indeed and Chrissi ISland, ( good day trip).

I always find Ierapetra slightly depressing, probably because I once spent the winter there tending cucumbers :)

It is the most southerly town in Europe and the temperature rarely if ever drops below 12 degrees. However, the whole area is surrounded by a sea of plastic greenhouses.

Many people seem to ignore the Zakros and Palekastro areas of extreme Eastern Crete. Woth a stop IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Ierapetra
Ierapetra
Crete, Greece
Chrissi Island
Chrissi Island
1,809 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Europe
Europe
World
Crete
Crete
Greece
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sitia or Ierapetra

Thanks for your advice.

I have been to Rethymnon and loved it, but as you say, it is a trek and we're only on Crete for three days so I don't think we want to go quite that far.

The beach on the road to Sitia sounds lovely and I do quite fancy the idea of a trip to Chrissi Island - perhaps we'll do both.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chrissi Island
Chrissi Island
1,809 Reviews
Crete, Greece
4. Re: Sitia or Ierapetra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Elounda