We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel?

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel?

Can anyone tell me which would be the best hotel for location. Within walking distance of Elounda or Plaka. I like to dress up in the evenings and have a really nice meal with excellent service. Lots of space when sunbathing. Is there a hotel that fits the bill?

yorkshire,england
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel?

Seee our report on the Elounda Bay Hotel, easy to walk to elounda takes 10/15 mins taxi to return is 5 euros, went to Plaka ,excellent fish resturants there ,12 euros back in a taxi...

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel?

Thank you I will read your review now.

Twigs

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel?

Hi, From our experience Plaka is nice but very casual, you wouldn't want to get too dressed up and the restaurants in Elounda are not up to much according to the hotel concierges.

The smart hotels have restaurants where dressing up is the norm.

Manchester
Level Contributor
685 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel?

I don't want to start an apartments vs large hotels war, but you're hardly likely to get a thumbs up of a hotel concierge are you?

The question is what do you want? I want the village and the people I know there, with it's bars, restaurants and atmosphere. Some don't want that and that's fine by me.

But if you say to a concierge, "Should we spend money here or in the village?" do not be surprised if he or she does not say "go to the village, do some people watching and check out the various shops and bars, it's nice; you'll have a great time." It will not happen, IMHO and no offence meant.

Further point to original post. The distance between the outskirts of Elounda where some of the big hotels are and Plaka where the Blue Palace is is a fairly long one.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel?

So Are you recommending the Blue Palace?

Manchester
Level Contributor
685 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel?

The Blue Palace is a resort. It's huge and isolated. That might be for you. It's about three miles from the village of Elounda. It's much closer to the small village of Plaka. Frankly, to call the location of the Blue Palace 'Elounda' is a p**s take.

I cannot recommend any of the large hotels, as I've not been to them - but I can recommend the village of Elounda. All I say is, go out and try the village and meet some locals.

DA

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel?

Well said DA...... even Plaka doesnt have too many "locals" now.....

8. Re: Best Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 08:17