We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avli Restaurant Crete

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
15 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Avli Restaurant Crete

I would like to share for all the interested public the awful experience we had in so-called ‘exclusive Avli Restaurant’ in Rethymo, Crete on 19th of September 2008.

Although the Hotel Manager has strongly suggested not to go to that restaurant; trusting all the positive comments we have read in various publications, hoping to have memorable last night in Crete, my husband and I have arrived at the restaurant.

I have to admit that one of the very few Professional approach was the greeting at the door upon our arrival. (And the only other was the waitress who was serving the drinks and water)

After we have been seated, the waiter has brought us the menu and we have given our order. My husband has asked for the calamari as starter and ‘dorado’ as the main course and I have asked for pork as starter and ‘baby veal cutlets as the main course.

As soon as the starters arrived, I have realised that the portion of the starter was too big, so I have asked the waiter to cancel the main course, if possible. As he did not understand English, he has answered yes, but neither returned back with an answer nor referred to another waiter who can speak English in order to assist us. 10 minutes later I was able to ‘literally’ catch up a waiter and he said it was too late. When I mentioned that I have voiced this request approximately 10-15 minutes ago he told me that that specific waiter did not understand English so he could not understand what we have said, we should have found an English speaking waiter. At this point, I would like to ask if this is an answer one should expect at an international – again so-called - ‘top of the lists’ restaurant. The least we would expect was some training about how to treat to the guests at this type of a restaurant.

Unfortunately this was not the end of the ‘horrifying’ experience. The calamari my husband was so chewy – not marinated enough – that it was unedible. Even in the small ‘village restaurant’ in Loutro, we had way beter quality then this. He has ordered ‘dorado’ as the main course and what we have received was a bream – to be more precise ‘a gilt head bream’. My husband has special interest in fish, so he can name any fish on the spot and when we asked about this, the answer we have received was ‘this is what we call Dorado here’ and without saying any other word, the waiter disappeared.

Guniz Azrak

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

Only 1 answer to this, my father told me, go to eat chinese where the chinese eat it. Do the same with Greek food, eat where the greeks eat it. How many Greeks where at Avli that night.............

Use this tactic everywhere in the world.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

We dined there in August and it was excellent, all the staff spoke English, food was stop on, service was a little slow.

Dave

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

Well i had exactly the oposite experience..perfect service...and great food...i will never forrget a french friend was in our group which used to make critics on the nouvele michelin award star restaurants of Alcace that said this restaurant has a really good service....

I order fish at safron sauce..it was perfect..cant comment enouph for the pork with potatoes or for the octopus with Fava...the decoration was fab.....

Azrak forums are not for reviews..

I was there at August....

I dont find a reason to do that after you have already made a review.....

Is not just that i dissagree or i believe you maybe say lies....cause bad experiences sometimes happen in the best places too..and missunderstandings is piece of cake....but i believe posting bad comments of a property in the forums is like a sort of hate..for the bad experience...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

"How many Greeks where at Avli that night.............

"

Me????

and trust me 1/3 of the clients of the place was greeks the time of my visit...

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

Avli is not as good as it was,staff on very low wages are now being employed and in some cases the minimum wage is not being paid.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

Although, unedible food is not acceptable, but you consider this a 'HORRIFYING' experience?

You are probably one of those people who consider stubbing a toe up there on the 10 out of 10 pain scale, like on the verge of dying.

A bit dramatic, and I think alot more people would have taken you seriously had you not only had this as your first and only post. That and you joined to write this.... now I call THAT horrifying.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

I agree....; )

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

why is this on the elounda forum???

9. Re: Avli Restaurant Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations