We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spinalonga island

England
Level Contributor
585 posts
1 review
Save Topic
spinalonga island

Is it good to travel to spinalonga on weekday or weekend?

Will it be crowded/busy on weekend?

I am still not sure how many days I should hire a car.

As we will be staying a week in Elounda and arriving on Saturyday early morning, We may walk around and go swimming in Elounda in the afternoon. If it is not busy in spinalonga on Sunday, we may catch a bus to Plaka and get on a boat to this island. Is the the boat business open on Sunday.

Then we may hire a car for 3 o 4 days to travel othe places during weekday.

Can anyone recommand a hire car company in Elounda?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spinalonga island

Hey and welcome CLW07:-) I've never been to Elounda..but in order to help you, it would certainly help the great folks here to know 'when' you're planning on travel;-) Enjoy!

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spinalonga island

Im going in four weeks time and "apparently" there are boats from Elounda every 30 mins up until about 4-5pm

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spinalonga island

Hi there

My recommendation would be to visit Spinalonga in the morning when its much cooler, you may be able to get the "workers" boat across to the island from the village of Plaka this leaves around 9.00 am or the first offical boat leaves at 10.00 am, this means that you get to the island before all the organised tour boats arrive from both Elounda and Agios. There isnt that much shade on the island of Spinalonga so if its really hot take an umbrella too. With regards to will it be busy being a weekend, I dont think that it will the only difference that I have ever found at the weekends is that the beaches are more crowded with the locals, and of course the large supermarkets are closed, but the tourist shops are still open.

Yes Its definately worth renting a car, and my suggested must see places would be, Knossos (about an hours drive from Elounda) Knossos is just outside of Herkalion, but you dont need to drive into the city, there a good road directions from the national road, again I would suggest an early morning visit to avoid the heat. I would also recommend a drive up to the Lasithi Plateau beautiful views, and you could also visit the The Diktaian Cave, which are around the Plateau, just make sure you wear trainers or strong shoes!!

If you want a lovely beach then I would suggest you drive to Istro and visit Voulisma Beach or Golden beach www.greekbeaches.co.uk/beach-voulisma.html this is a beautiful beach with fantastic waves, really good fun.

A couple of Greek villages that are worth a visit are Neapoli (you could visit this on your way to the Lasith Plateau) and Kritsa (15 min drive from Elounda) I also like Milatos too and there are some good taverna by the sea for lunch.

I cant recommend a car hire company based in Elounda, but I am sure that someone else will post a recommendation, we always use autopapas who are based in Agios and collect our car from the airport.

Hope you have a great holiday

S. Wales UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spinalonga island

I am staying in Hersonissos and plan on going to Spinalonga , where is the nearest place for me to get the boat over , also we will be using public transport if possible , if not then we will book a excursion through either the rep or local agent .

thanks for any replies

5. Re: spinalonga island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 July 2017, 00:38
Manchester
Level Contributor
690 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: spinalonga island

There are a few local ones in the villagethat we've used. Elounda Rent a Car and Eagle have always provided a good service.

DA

England
Level Contributor
585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: spinalonga island

Thanks for all of your tips and suggestions.

We are going to Elounda in September.

I think we may go to the spinalogka on Sunday. Looking at the bus timetable, if we miss the bus at 9.00am, then we will have to wait for 2 hours for the next bus 11.00am. The bus schedule is almost the same on weekday and weekend.

I don't think we will hire a car on the day going to spinalogka as we will stay on the island at least half day and walk around in Plaka.

Any ideas how much it may cost from Elounda to Plaka by taxi if we miss the bus at 9.00am.

Manchester
Level Contributor
690 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: spinalonga island

Can't help re taxi cost, but can I clarify that you can get the boat from Elounda to Spinalonga AND from Plaka. You don't need to get the bus to plaka. Maybe I'm missunderatanding you though?

DA

9. Re: spinalonga island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 July 2017, 00:38
Edited: 20 July 2017, 00:38
England
Level Contributor
585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: spinalonga island

Yes, I would like to visit Plaka and have a boat trip to Spinalonga. After reading other posts, I know I can get the earliest boat trip from Plaka to Spinalonga at 9.00am. If I want to catch the earliest boat, I have to get on the bus either 6.00am or 9.00am. So, if I miss the bus at 9 .00am, then I will have to wait for another 2 hours to catch the next bus.

If it happens, I might have to get there by taxi.