We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

I have just learned that Michalis has recently passed away -

creteislandnews.com/news/…more59

How very sad. I feel very upset now, he will be greatly missed by so many. God rest his soul and my sincere condolences to his family.

london
Level Contributor
375 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

I have just read this newspaper report .. What a life Michalis had !!! A really lovely Tribute to him. If only we had known last year it would have been amazing to have met him

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

so sad we met him a couple of times had drinks on his terrace wont be the same without him thinking of his family at this sad time

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
295 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

Raising a glass of Raki to this wonderful gentleman, thank you for many a happy afternoon.

hull england
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

sorry to hear about michalis passing,met him a couple of times. also his wife before she passed .condolances to the family too. .he will be sadly missed r.i.p barry sue in hull england

hull england
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

sorry to hear about michalis passing,met him a couple of times. also his wife before she passed .condolances to the family too. .he will be sadly missed r.i.p barry sue in hull england

Maldon, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

Yes it was sad news indeed. I heard it the day after he passed away from one of my friends who lives up in the village & helped look out for Michalis, but forgot to post on here at the time.

The Hope will regrettably die with him as it won't pass the health regulations etc these days & it's probably not remote enough to avoid them, although I've been told the family would like to have kept it going. The ex-pat locals were taking their own drinks in & still using the place in the evenings after Michalis died but I'm not sure if they'll keep that up. Although as I'm out there for the next 2 weeks I guess I'll find out.

It wasn't a good winter in Mavrikano as one of the regulars at The Hope, Dutch Harry, lost his wife after a prolonged illness. So things will have changed somewhat when we get there.

England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

Hi Hooly, can you update us on this on your return please? I'm sure that others as well as us will be keen to know. Thanks.

Manchester
Level Contributor
128 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

Hi. The link doesn't work :(. Is this the little raki bar up on the hillside with the stunning view ? It's 15 years since I was last there and am sure that's the name of the gentleman who owned it. He must have been in his 70s then. He dozed on the stone seat using a brick for a pillow! He would bring lovely nibbles of olives and feta etc. I don't think the bar had a name then? Last I heard he had hurt his leg climbing a tree !! If this is the place I remember, condolences to the family. Such a sweet old couple. X

lincs
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

http://youtu.be/4wlMF-DZed0 This is a link to a little video we made at Mixalis' place last year. God rest him.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Michalis Mayrikaki - The Hope

Trantrabella.. if you click the link and then just copy Michalis's name and paste into the box in the right hand corner.. enter and the article appears!

Get answers to your questions about Elounda