We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

fife
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

Hi, arrived last night at Alikes Apartments which we had booked via Low Cost Holidays last September only to be told on arrival at 10 pm that we could not stay there as they only deal with Thomsons Holidays (apparently as of last year).

As you can imagine myself, my husband & 2 young kids were shocked to say the least as we hadn't been made aware of this at all by Low Cost Holidays.

We were then told we would be staying 2 doors down at Sunrise Apartments. Despite our protests that is where we have ended up. We had originally booked Alikes as it is 4 star and whilst there is Sunrise is ok it is not 4 star - room very basic, kitted out for 3 people rather than family of 4, shower runs cold after 5 mins etc.

We phoned Low Cost last night who have advised they will get back to us but so far have not heard anything. Apparently we are not the only ones affected by this shambolic lack of customer service. Ideally we would have liked to be moved to 4 star equivalent hotel however looking pretty unlikely. I will certainly be angling for compensation.

Has anyone else had this problem or booked for Alikes with Low Cost? Can they legally do this? Astounded to say the least (not to mention stressed to the max). Not a great start to hols.

Mentioned in this post
Alikes Apartments
Alikes Apartments
529 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sunrise Apartments
Sunrise Apartments
405 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 35 hotels in Elounda
Elounda Heights
Elounda Heights
#2 of 35 hotels in Elounda
Elounda Krini Hotel
Elounda Krini Hotel
#3 of 35 hotels in Elounda
England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

I am so sorry to hear your sad tale. Luckily this has never happened to us (we book independently and stay at Corali/Portabello) but can well imagine the distress all this has caused you. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy yourselves while you're in magical Elounda and then go for the jugular with Low Cost when you get back home.

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

That's an awful start to your holiday and very stressful. Hopefully you have settled in and are starting to enjoy yourselves.

I have heard about this with Low Cost before and from memory they protect themselves by stating that your contract is directly with the suppliers and they only act as a booking agency, however they should have at least informed you of the change of "supplier". Not sure how far you will get with them but could argue that you feel your present apartment is sub-standard compared to the one that you booked and therefore maybe a cost differential?

I'd just try and enjoy the holiday and deal with it when you get back but double check the T's & C's.

Sarah

x

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,424 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

Hi Ranger

When you get back ring your local Trading Standards office and tell them of your story and keep all paperwork, take pictures of what you have been given in its place. If you have a case they will sometimes take it up on your behalf.

They will certainly advise you on what to do and they have links with other departments who deal with cases of mis advertising in the UK.

Not sure about the supplier, it is general the person to whom you pay you holiday, normally the major tour operator.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday

fife
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

Thanks for all your nice comments. Have managed to relax a little thank goodness. Have heard from another couple that other travel agents have done the same not just Low Cost Holidays so just want to warn others who have booked Alikes that they solely take on Thomsons only. Cheers.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

According to their website you can book packages with Thomsons or direct with them. This seems to contradict their statement that they only deal with Thomsons ! Seems to me that they are simply trying to fob you off due to overbooking or some sort of error on their part.

http://alikeselounda.gr/eng_reservation.html

Gateshead
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

I was staying at the Alikes last week when someone called in off the street to see if they could book a room, they were advised by the receptionist that they could only take bookings via Thompsons.

Wakefield
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

Interesting reading this thread. We booked the Alikes Apts last year through Travel Republic and had a fantastic holiday - so much so that we are returning next Thursday. Maria, who manages the apartments, told us that from this year they will only be taking bookings through Thomson, and this is who we have booked with. Last time I checked Travel Republic they were still advertising the Alikes.

On the thread from Somerset Steve, the people at the Alikes would not try to fob anybody off - they are genuinely nice people who will do everything to ensure you enjoy your holiday. Thomson will have a certain number of rooms - others you are able to book direct, but not through an agent such as Low Cost Holidays.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

Sadly you and dozens of other families have had the same experience this year the problem has been ongoing since May with families arriving thinking they were staying at the Alikes appartments.

I will add its still happening as of yesterday August 26th ( I know this to be true as I stay myself long term in Elounda)

I believe even the photos advertising the holidays have been of the Alikes in some brochures?

I wish You luck in seeking compensation should I be able to assist You by way of an independant statement of just what I know to happening and people misled please contact Me.

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
fife
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

Thanks Jon, that's very kind of you. Can't believe it's still happening to people now. I've had the offer of a paltry sum from Low Cost but have gone back to them to ask for a discount off next years hols! Still to hear back from them. (They advised they were unaware of what was happening until we contacted them).

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware - Low Cost Holidays nightmare with Alikes Apartments

hi jon your right just had a look still advertising as the alikes for next year but it is saying in the room choices ...sunrise building but the picture is still of the alikes ...they need to sort this out as it is misleading people ...

Get answers to your questions about Elounda