We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Elounda questions for September

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
579 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Some Elounda questions for September

We are staying at the Lena Apartments in September for a week. We would like to go to Spinalonga, and another trip and wonder what you advise.

We are late 30s (not mentioning the 40 word yet!!) and like a drink, don't want clubby music, like traditional food (get fed up of saying no chips wherever we go) but do like to enjoy ourselves. We generally tend to have a nice walk after dinner so can you recommend any walks.

Then we like to find a bar, get comfortable, have a few beers, wine and a laugh and happy to meet new people. We then generally tend to end on our balcony.

Is it worth going to Heraklion for a day. We do like history and ruins. We would like to get the bus to Ag Nik as that's somewhere I have fancied going.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Hi there

My recommendations would be to visit Spinalonga (via the village of Plaka, as alreay posted on the other topic) and also Knossos too, You will be able to book tours from the village or if you do hire a car its simple enough to drive to Knossos

Yes its easy to catch the bus into Agios, and of course you could always spend the evening there too if you wanted a change from Elounda.

Its a nice walk into Plaka in the evening and then have a meal at one of the tavernas before wandering back to Elounda - its a pleasant walk in the evening when its cooler with sea view all the way.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
579 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Thank you. We won't hire a car but a trip to Knossos does sound good and a walk into Plaka.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,387 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Hi,

Just to add IMO its a very long walk from Elounda to Plaka... its definitely a taxi ride.

Taxi's can easily be found in Elounda at the main square whilst in Plaka you are best to ring one...ask your restaurant. ..

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

It depends what you mean really by a long way, the OP wanted to walk somewhere, from Elounda to Plaka is around 4km - which I dont think is very far, its not a walk that I would want to do in blazing sunshine, but in the evening with the breeze from the sea - very pleasant - Oh and I would suggest that you take a torch if you are intending to walk back.. :-)

Elounda
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

A couple of suggestionsto to help you enjoy your September holiday.

The Happy Train (brown and cream livery) will take you on a three hour trip along the coast through Plaka and up into the mountain villages, stopping for photos of Spinalonga Island from a scenic view point and then visiting a tradtional olive oil factory, etc.

A new book ''Ten Interesting Walks in Elounda for Holidaymakers'' should help you find some pleasant walks.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Elounda

Edited: 15 July 2011, 18:19
lancs england
Level Contributor
360 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Your post could well have been mine we seem to have similar tastes, we are going in september as well, love a bit of a walk before or after a meal to free up some space for a glass of wine, or a cocktail for the wife. Sad to say as my name suggests, the dreaded 40 is a thing of the past, oh how time flies now. May bump into you on one of our strolls, have a great holiday.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Hello,

We are going to Elounda in September 9th to 16th - does anyone know if there are any events/festivals going on locally? I dont mean Glastonbury.. (we're in our 40's btw) ....I mean local small events - food/music etc..

And re walks from Elounda...from your posts it seems that there are good walks North along the coast but are there any good walks South?

We are also interested in the Happy Bus...is that licensed perchance? ;)

Marvellous.

Thanks - all replies welcome x

Amanda

Elounda
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Hi Amanda,

Please refer to my previous post No 5 re Interestintg Walks in Elounda.

I think you mean the Happy ''Train'' it is licenced to carry passengers (obviously) but as far as know not to carry drink apart from soft drinks, plenty to be had elsewhere.

''Enjoy your holiday''

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
579 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Hi Amanda, we too are going on 9 September for a week and would be interested to here about any festivals and wondered whether train licencesd! We've found a couple of walks from this site that look interesting and have drinking establishments en route!

http://www.dempseys.org.uk/eloundawalks.htm

Where are you flying from?

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Elounda questions for September

Hi

We'll be arriving on the 8th for two weeks, counting down the days now! Those walks look really good, will probably try some if not all of them. We're a little older than you guys (in fact a fair bit older if truth be told!), but I'm sure we could manage to enjoy the walks rather than always using the hire car.

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations