We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tavernas open in October

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tavernas open in October

Hi all

Just wondered, does anyone who has travelled late in the season before, ever noticed whether tavernas like Dimitris and Vritomartis are still open? I have someone who is counting on Dimitris pita gyros in particular!!!

I know that due to the current climate, businesses may be closing earlier in the season etc.. but just wondered if places like Dimitris were all year round (am sure someone told me that in Elounda before, but could be wrong!).

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Dimitris Steak House
Dimitris Steak House
465 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Milford Haven...
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tavernas open in October

hiya tt,

yes you are correct in saying that dimitris is one of the few tavernas that are open all yr round, flying out on thursday so i will check the vritomartis to see if open, when in oct are you going, and where are you staying and then i can ask about for you

i will get back to you.

dawn

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tavernas open in October

Hi there

I think that many of the tavernas tend to see how many tourists are around at the end of the season and if its worth staying open or not.. but as shes already said I am sure that Dawn will check it out for you :-)

The latest that we have been to ELounda in "the season" is mid October and I must admit we havent noticed anywhere closing early the last couple of years, but not sure about the last two weeks in October.

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tavernas open in October

Hi Dawn and MG

Thank you both for your replies. Dawn, we will be there beginning-mid October so if you happen to find out whether a taverna such as Vritomartis is open, please let me know!! That would be great!

Enjoy your holiday. You must be so excited only 3 days to go!!

Milford Haven...
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tavernas open in October

yeah tt deffo excited now. thurs nite 10.30pm (their time) i will be ordering a gyros in dimitris and supping a mythos. cant wait.

yeah i will defo go the the vrit and ask and if you let me know where you are staying i can call in en route and ask.

i dont mind going anywhere that serves beer, so its not a problem at all and i will get back to you on 28th or 29th. i will post it on here, cos im not doing right well at this private messaging mallarki

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tavernas open in October

Dawn I'm still waiting for you to pm your number so we can hook up! Anyway I'm sure I'll find you at Dimitris and since I'm at the Olive Grove I'll pass Dimitris every night lol.

Mentioned in this post
Dimitris Steak House
Dimitris Steak House
465 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Olive Grove Apartments
Olive Grove Apartments
336 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Milford Haven...
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tavernas open in October

Ann ive sent it,

tell you what i dunt know what is happening to that pm thing, im going to work now but i will try it again when i get home.if you dont get it by tonight send me yours and i will txt you and then you will have my number.

sorry hun, im all new to this computer mallarky

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tavernas open in October

All done Dawn :-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tavernas open in October

Dawn

Another request for you

We have booked the larger apartments in Manos, sleep 4, next year, if you have time, could you find out which these are. Last time we stayed there we had apt 14, which was nice, slept 3.with a large patio area overlooking the main pathway The apartment before ours had a funny little patio area overlooking a half built building...don't want that one.

Any info you may be able to find out would be appreciated.

Have a great time, i am soooo jealous

Debs

Milford Haven...
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tavernas open in October

debs,

i think the 2 bed apt are at the back from room 20 to 29. we usually stay in rm 20 and that is a 1 bed apt, but i think towards rm 29 are the 2 beds.

if you pm me the name booked in and the date and if yoiu want i will see larraine and request a room for you. i must admit i prefer the apts at the back coz you out of the way, and i believe the top apt have a nice seaview.

dont be jealous nxt yr will come soon enough. x

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
845 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tavernas open in October

Hi TT,

We were in Elounda at end Oct last year and Vritomartis was still open then. Some places were closed or closing down while we were there, but still plenty of choice. Porto Rino was great and stays open all year, but I think reduced hours over winter.

Hope you have a great time. Can't make it to Elounda this year due to other commitments, but planning to return in 2013.

Nic :-)

Mentioned in this post
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Porto Rino
Porto Rino
755 Reviews
Crete, Greece