We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elounda

west yorks
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Topic
elounda

thinking of booking elounda for september this year. went to giourgiopolis last year which we liked but it was a bit quiet. also love kassiopi in corfu and pefkos in rhodes. how does elounda compare? also looking to book a villa which is not too far to walk into town in the evenings if anyone knows of any? cheers. phil.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: elounda

Hi there

Elounda is pretty laid back, great beach, superb views across towards Spinalonga peninsula and island, loads of bars, shops and restaurants, car hire and ATMs. I've never visited Kassiopi but have stayed in Pefkos several times, I think the best thing to say is that in my opinion, Elounda is a bit more cosmopolitan and possibly a little more upmarket than Pefkos. Of course, Elounda has it's harbour which Pefkos does not

west yorks
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: elounda

thanks for the reply - sounds great. if anyone could recommend a villa that would be extra fab.

CO.DOWN
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elounda

My wife and i went to Elounda in May of last year and boy did we enjoy it. The people,the location,the food and last by no means least the apartments we stayed in(Hiona) and everyone connected with the apartments completely bowled us over. Would we return, yes tomorrow. (If we could get flights) Its a great pity we never discovered this haven years ago. I'm sure before to long you will have plenty more extolling this area in Crete.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 16:22
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elounda

Hi honda are you not going back this year.??

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: elounda

Hi Phil

Have you tried holiday lettings ? recently used them for Tenerife and Corfu :

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/crete/

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: elounda

Hi Phiphey

We are going back to Elounda for our 2nd visit in May this year .

We were there in May 2011 and sadly had to cancel 2012 due to a family bereavement.

We have also been to Kassiopi whilst we were staying at Sidari on Corfu and we loved it there.

There are a lot of similarities between Elounda and Kassiopi, both have a lovely harbour with taverna's all the way round and boat trips from the harbour.

There are quite a few more eating places in Elounda as it is larger than Kassiopi but I'm sure you will love it as you seem to enjoy similar surroundings to ourselves.

Dont know about the Villas as we stay at the Hiona same place as the last person that replied to you and I can certainly recommend this place the pool and bar are right on the front next to the sea just before the salt flats with a fantastic view across the bay.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: elounda

I don't think there are many villas near to the village itself, I have seen a couple in Mavrikana, which is just above the resort.

Most of the accomodation in Elounda is in apartments or small hotels, larger, more expensive hotels can be found outside the village and towards Plaka. However you nee to use a car, bus or taxi to get to and from the village when staying at one of these, which can be a nuisance as it is so much nicer to be able to stroll to the village, enjoying the views.

We have also stayed in Georgopolus and although we loved it, I think you will find that Elounda has more to offer.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: elounda

We have been to Pefkos in Rhodes for the past 8 years and have just come back from Elounda in Crete. First time in Elounda and we loved it, we think its better than Pefkos as its right on the water edge with a great harbour. Not as hot as Rhodes (July 2013) and on days very windy but never cold. In comparison the beach is softer sand in Rhodes with Elounda quite coarse sand you also need footwear when swimming in the sea as it is very rocky. We stayed in the Hiona Pool Bar (at the quiet end by the salt-flats) and had a great time. Very quiet and relaxing with great theme nights and live music twice a week.

Loads of restaurants and our favourite was Olondi on the water's edge with fantastic views across to Spinalonga.

Comparing Pefkos with Elounda, Crete won and we will be booking to go back next year. Hope this helps.

cheshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: elounda

Myself and a friend are thinking of going to Elounda we are in our 60s [young at heart] and we were wondering if there is enough to do there,ie places to eat and drink as we are going s/c.We also like a bit of shopping so is it easy to get to AG Nic from there too ? Thanks

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: elounda

Hi there

There are lots of tavernas in Elounda so you will be spoilt for choice :-) Elounda also has a good choice of chilled out bars great for watching the world go by :-)..and some staying open very late too..

If you wanted to go into Agios for shopping or for the evening then it's a short bus ride away, the buses are very good more like air con coaches than buses ....or you can get a taxi for around 14, euros

Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations