We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive boat hire

uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
self drive boat hire

Hi, were in Elounda now any sugestions who hires out self drive boats for 2-3 hrs. Costs, restrictions etc. Cheers

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive boat hire

There is a place on the Elounda to Plaka road that hire self drive boats. I'm afraid I don't know their rates or conditions but probably worth a trip to see them.

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self drive boat hire

Hi

We were in Elounda a week ago and hired a self drive boat from the main beach in Elounda.

Just walk past the Happy train stop along the beach and there is a water sports hut and jetty.

The price is 50 euros for 1 hour 90 euros for 2 hrs and 120 euros for 3 hrs.

We took the 2 hr option and shared with friends that we had met.

The boat had a canopy and we had a fab time went all around the bay and then around Spinalonga and came back up the Plaka side .A bit pricey but not too bad if you can share and the boat was really nice and roomy.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self drive boat hire

Akis, at the Ferryman taverna, also hires his boat out, although I don't know his prices.

Hastings, England...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self drive boat hire

We have hired small power boats in and around Elounda for several years now, great fun. Their approach to boat hire is quite lax, if you've got the money and don't appear to be blind they're quite happy after they've given you a quick demonstration.

As regard to restrictions, thay have tightened up in recent years. We used to be able to go all the way around the peninsular, we would go out past Spinalonga and around the back visiting the more inaccessible parts. We would eventually re-enter the bay by going under the bridge on the causeway. This took us about 5 hrs at a leisurely pace and included a stop off at a beach for a picnic...........These days they like you to stay in the bay or just the other side of the causeway.

The boats we hired were not in the first flush of youth, a bit scruffy and the last one we hired the throttle was a bit sticky. No kill cord on the engine either. At full throttle they are very noisy and not pleasant, this does to a large degree depend on what size boat you hire though. We hired 10HP one if memory serves. They usually require you to take a mobile phone.

My wife and I are keen sailors and we both have the RYA Power Boat and Safety Boat qualifications (which they didn't ask us about, not a requirement). So I would recommend they following:

The prop on the back is a potential meat liquidiser.

Do not go anywhere near swimmers or Kayakers unless your engine is off.

Drop anchor (usually provided) and switch engine off before swimming around the boat.

There are no kill cords on the engines so if you fall out with the boat going it will probably go round in circles until it gets you, that's what they tend to do with no hand on the steering. The smaller boats are quite slow so you're not likely to fall out unless your being daft but it can happen.

All in all though it's a great way to spend a few hours......beware of the Sun, it always seems stronger on the water with the cool breeze.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self drive boat hire

Great advice Gary, I am always amazed that anyone, without any experience, can hire such a powerful vehicle.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: self drive boat hire

Great message Gary.

I too have the RYA qualification but was amazed that I was allowed to hire a 30hp boat (in Kefalonia) without any questions.

The only advice I would add is to make sure those who are not driving know how to turn the engine off just in case the driver falls overboard!

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self drive boat hire

To me, a boat with an engine,is as dangerous as a car on the road, yet in some places,safety is soo lax.Further to your post Bob,agree,all adults and adultish on board should know the basics

Hastings, England...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: self drive boat hire

....nice addition Bob.

I hope I haven't put anyone off but if you get run over by a prop the best you can hope for is serious injury and it could be quite a long time before you get medical attention. (sorry, more doom)

That aside:

I would seriously recommend hiring a boat though, it is always and easily the best day of our holiday. OK the Greeks don't have the same approach to health and safety as us Brits but I think that is part of the charm of the place, well, it is for me.....take advantage of it, hire a boat, have fun but be aware.

Hastings, England...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: self drive boat hire

...............addition:

Do not hire a fast powerful boat without previous experience......Get a slow one first off. Better still, get down your local sailing club and do the RYA power boat course, it's relatively cheap and it's fun.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 10:24
halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: self drive boat hire

I think the message here is just to be sensible, we didn.t hire a speedboat but it did have a decent sized engine.

We do not have qualifications in boating but have done quite a bit of water skiing and have previously owned a small speedboat.

We were asked if we had any experience and advised him that we had.

We were taken to the end of the Jetty and shown the ropes Anchor life jackets stop start etc and advised how far and where we were allowed to go to which included all around Spinalonga but not on the island itself (this is the big boats area).

We asked if we could go up the canal but were advised against it probably because its quite narrow and rocky in parts.

We then took our instructor back to shore and our time started when we left him.

It was a lovely two hours and we just took it slowly and chilled saw a turtle as well near to Spinalonga.

Take plenty of water as it is quite hot on the water even though we had a canopy.

Be sensible and enjoy.

Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations