We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road above plaka or just a track ?

uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Road above plaka or just a track ?

Hello can anyone tell me the track thats above plaka, is it safe to drive a car on,i saw a video on youtube by some handglyders.. it went really high up and looked towards elounda and spinalonga,id really like to do this if its a safe road to drive....

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

Hi there

Do you mean the road that leads towards Vrouchas ? yes this road has some beautiful view towards Plaka, Spinalonga and Elounda, no its not a track its a proper tarmac road and there are lay byes to pull over so that you can take photos.... just take it nice and slow and you will be fine :-) If you continue along through Vrouchas and then down towards the sea, some of this road although still tarmac, is a little narrow - but up until Vrouchas its fine :-)

2. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 23:41
uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

Thank you very much gentlemen , my time to go to crete draws nearer...so looking forward to it.. is there anything else you could share with me ? that perhaps you think i should see or do... go to eat somwhere? please id like to hear !

si k.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

Hi there

The entire, triangular peninsula to the north of the New National Road, more or less from Sissi in the west to Agios Nikolaos in the east is very rustic and well worth exploring. From Vrouchas, there are many little tarmaced roads leading to various other villages and it's possible to drive in a wide loop and end up in the charming town of Neapoli, where there's 3 or 4 museums, a stunning church and plenty going on, especially along it's wide main street.

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

Hi guys! Definitely agree with all the above... there IS another road above Plaka, but this is just a dirt track up into the wind farm on the hill - not advisable for a car, and you can access this area from the Vrouchas road anyway!

There's a newish little taverna on the far side of Vrouchas which is getting rave reports from folks that have been...I was up there last week and it was busy, but I didn't have time to stop alas :(

Just about anywhere you eat in this area is brilliant...I thnk all will agree with that: a lot depends on what you want to try/like to eat as to where to go. Call in at Eklektos, and we'll give what advice we can if it's any help when you're here :)

Have a good one!

Eklektos

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,186 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

I posted a few snaps of our day trip to Spinilonga followed by driving to Vrouhas etc. on flickr.com/photos/… if you want a nosey

uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

Thankyou so much all of you very helpful see you in a few days ....oh groanjock fab pictures id love to see more if anyone would like to share.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

My pleasure....

flickr.com/photos/…

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,186 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

and the album collection of our adventure in Crete is on flickr.com/photos/… any questions at all just ask and have a wonderful time when you go ;-)

uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Road above plaka or just a track ?

Thank you everyone :)

Get answers to your questions about Elounda