We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west yorks
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

hi all. travelling to crete next week staying at plaka for two weeks. there's nothing I like more than chillaxing by the pool in the afternoons but like to travel around in the mornings in the hire car. have read the rough guides etc but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for places which are 'musts' as there are too many options in the books. thanks.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

Hi there

I guess it depends on what rings your bell but I would certainly spend one morning exploring the triangular peninsula to the west of Elounda, roughly bordered by Sissi in the west and Agios Nikolaos in the southeast. Loads of rustic villages, great scenery and some excellent tavernas to pull over for a cheap meal.

Sissi itself is very pretty as is it's close neighbour Milatos. There are caves above Milatos that contain a shrine to 100s of villagers killed in a Turkish massacre. Neapoli is a charming working town, it's just off the E75 New National Road, not far from Elounda, beautiful church, 3 or 4 museums and a busy main street with fruit and veg vendors.

From Neapoli, take the road at the top of the main street up to the Lassithi plateau, a very scenic drive, once up there, you'll find a peripheral road that links 15 or so very rustic villages plus there are miles of public pathways that criss cross the fields of fruit, vegetables and olives.

Kritsa is a lovely hill village to the southwest of Agios Nikolaos, and close to it ( you drive past on the way up) is the tiny church of Panayia Kera, the oldest Christian church on Crete.

Take a drive down to Ierapetra, Europe's most southerly town, rather off the tourist trail and another working town

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

Hi there

The only other place that I would add to GB's list would be the beautiful beach of Voulisma, around 20 min drive from Plaka and by far the best beach on the north coast of Crete...worth the drive :-)

cretanbeaches.com/Beaches/…

west yorks
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

thanks for the recommendations guys. how long roughly is the drive from plaka to lasithi plateau? any more from anyone? cheers.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

Hi there

From Plaka, it would take you about an hour to drive up to the plateau if you cut through the back roads to Neapoli, and then take the road from Neapoli up to Lassithi. If you didn't fancy going that way, you can drive from Plaka to Agios Nikolaos along the coast via Elounda, then take the E75 New National Road to Neapoli, then as above. Going via Agios Nikolaos adds about 12-13 kms to the trip and around 15-20 minutes time wise.

Once in Neapoli ( which is well worth a couple of hours), look for this sign at the top end of the main street...

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157612483683872

This road up to the plateau was widened about 8-9 years ago and is well surfaced with tarmac all the way up. It brings you out onto the plateau close to the village of Agios Konstantinos and once there, you can head around the peripheral road in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction, you can't get lost.

After your time on the plateau, you can either go back the way you came, or exit the plateau on the only other road down, by the village of Pinakiano, which goes over the Ambelou Pass and then winds down to the village of Kera. For me, this is even more scenic than the other route. What I'd then do, after Kera, is to take the right turning to Krasi, a charming hill village and then drop down to rejoin the New National Road at Malia, or take the next right turn after the one for Krasi, and go down through Mohos, another lovely village which again, then joins the NNR at Stalis.

These are old, scanned photos, not very good quality, but they give you an idea about the plateau and the amazing views..

flickr.com/photos/…

west yorks
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

thanks gb - will be there soon.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

So will we, in fact, in about 24 hours.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

Have a good one GB!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

Thanks Steve, flight departs LGW 0715 Sunday morning, so we should be supping the first cold Mythos by around 2.30pm

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

You could have 1 (or 3) tonight...it's on 3 for 2 at Tesco! But it's never quite the same is it!

Are you staying at Mike's? I'll be interested to see if you think the area has changed since you were last there. We were pleased to see that on talking to a couple of restaurant owners in Gouves earlier this month, that they have so far had a busy year this year - whereas last year was very quiet.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: things to see/do in plaka/elounda area

Shame Steve, we only have a very small Tesco here and they don't sell Mythos..;0(

Yes, we are staying at Mikes, and they too have had a very good season so far. I'm thinking of doing a walk round and doing a map when I'm there, there are so many hotels in the area now, most of which are listed on TA as being in Hersonissos. We have one favourite bar and two favourite restaurants in Anissaras too, let's hope they are still trading.

Get answers to your questions about Elounda