We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Plaka

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,284 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in Plaka

Got back last night after two weeks at the Blue Palace Resort in Plaka/Elounda. Just wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions before we went and to let you know that we had a wonderful time. I had forgotten how stunning Crete is. The holiday started with a very enjoyable taxi ride from the airport to the Blue Palace with a very nice driver who talked to us about the area and pointed out lots of things on the way, it took just over one hour. We were very impressed with the Blue Palace I will write a review but will just say that we were amazed by the view from our balcony we were directly opposite Spinalonga and couldn't believe it was so close.

We had a fairly relaxing two weeks but did visit Aghios Nikolaos twice and Elounda by bus. We were very impressed with the buses and found them very reliable and were grateful for the air conditioning. I thought the views between Elounda and Ag Nik from the bus were amazing.

We walked into Plaka most days and although we were upgraded to half board by Sovereign we did eat in Plaka on two evenings and had lunch there on a few occasions. We took the boat from Plaka to Spinalonga early one morning and did just about manage to beat the crowds.

We mainly just enjoyed the facilities of the Blue Palace and the relaxing village of Plaka. We loved being on the beach and swimming from the pontoon and the sea was so clear.

The first week was really hot and we appreciated the wind as we were told we would but we did have a few days where it was really strong during the second week. It almost took your breath away and blew you over when you were on the beach and you had to weigh everything down with stones. On one of these days we went to Ag Nik and it was nowhere near as strong there so I think that little bay does catch the wind. Having said that it certainly didn't bother us or stop us doing anything and we didn't have any rain and even light clothes felt too heavy on some days. We loved Crete as much as we did almost twenty years ago and can understand why we went there two years in a row back then.

Thanks again everyone.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

sounds like you had a great time,thanks for sharing..so much greece so little time

Edited: 09 September 2013, 12:40
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,284 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

Yes, I agree, we used to go to a different Greek Island every year but then got distracted by Cyprus. It is time to rediscover Greece I think.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

Brilliant always good to hear reports back, deciding where to go in Greece is impossible, we have enough trouble trying to decide where to go in Crete alone.

We are finding it almost impossible to decide on next years trip. between Loutro and walking, back to Gouves where we have made good friends, Chania where we honeymooned or somewhere else, with Plaka being very high on the list.

To be honest much as we have had some great times on other Greek Islands we have pretty much written them off and will probably just stick with Crete

Edited: 09 September 2013, 14:01
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

HI there

Thanks for the feedback, good to know that you enjoyed your holiday, yes its a beautiful part of Crete,and the view across to Spinalonga is very special, especially with the sun setting :-)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

Loved your report and so pleased you had a good trip.

Yes, the wind can be a little fierce at times. We stayed in Elounda one year up on a hill and on one occasion, the wind blew everything on the table off the balcony, through the studio and ended up splatted against the studio front door.

Quite some wind LOL! :O) :O)

Emerald Isle
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

Yes, the winds that blow in July/August are call the Meltimie (sic) Winds. These winds are what keep NE Crete tolerable in the the hot season and are a product of geographics and the high temperature.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

sounds lovely and brought back memories of my holiday in plaka in may, thanks

8. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 21:30
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

Really enjoyed reading your report and reviews Twigs. It must be 25 years since we went to Crete but this has certainly tempted me to visit again, definitely my kind of holiday. Your hotel also sounds just perfect. Thanks for posting and so glad to hear you had a good time.

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two weeks in Plaka

Lovely to read your report twigs we were in Elounda in May this year and have already booked again for next year.

We stay in Elounda and walk to Plaka a beautiful walk along the coastline most of the way with places to stop for a drink and a swim if needed.

Glad that you enjoyed it.

Get answers to your questions about Elounda