We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olous sunken city

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Olous sunken city

Hi,

Sorry to rub it in, but we are in elounda for our first time. We have fallen in love. Anyway, please could anyone tell us how to get to the sunken city. We have walked to the causeway. Which side is it please.

Many thanks

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olous sunken city

Don't know if this helps at all:

www.aghiosnikolaos.gr/index.php…

and this is apparently a photo from above water, which should narrow it down.

www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php…

Is it on the right as you start to walk across, with the village behind you, in a sort of lagoon?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
831 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olous sunken city

Hi,

Head over causeway, then bearing right following waters edge, go past Kanali taverna towards Church, and sunken ruins are on right (sort of at end of channel which goes under bridge of causeway). You can make out some walls, but not much else. Still its a lovely spot for a drink and to enjoy views towards Elounda itself.

Hope you enjoy rest of your hols.

Nic :-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olous sunken city

Hi there

Sorry to be negative but I've snorkelled there and there really isn't that much to see, a few walls as Nic says and a few old column bases and that's about it. Good to say you've seen it though.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olous sunken city

Thank you to everyone for your help. The water was not calm enough last year to see the sunken city, but we are going again this year yea.

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olous sunken city

Hi guys - the walls etc can be seen, and it gives you an idea of the actual size of the place...here comes the history bit!!

Olous was one of the 147 City states of Crete and had a population of approx. 33000. Excavations by the French and Italians in the late 19th early 20th have shown that the city was a major trading city on Crete...some of the Temple Goods found on Kalydon have similarities to pieces found all over the Med and in North Africa - there's even been some questions about finds in Indo China!!

Olous suffered from a serious plague, which cost the lives of many citizens, and the final tsunami and aftershocks from the eruption of Santorini were the deathknell for the city - and also the Minoan Empire - ( they were a trading nation with most of their cities on the sea!)

There are some sites on Kalydon - mostly fenced off, and also a temple site found by the French in Lenika between Ag Nik and Elounda - this was the site of a temple to Aphrodite and also a 'peace treaty marker' for Lato and Olous...

On mount Oxa there is an example of a Minoan citadel, which was occupied AFTER the destruction of Olous...also water cisterns up there - don't try to get there in the Summer guys, far too hot!

Hope you like this bit of info...come and see me for a longer chat

Eklektos

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olous sunken city

Thank you. That is so kind of you. We will pop in when we come in September.

Elounda
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olous sunken city

Further to the excellent information posted about Olous and Lynnettes first class history lesson about the area, I would like to re-iterate the advice given about about Mount Oxa.

Mount Oxa is approximately 565 metres high, which by mountain standards is not that high, but anyone contemplating walking to the top at this time of the year, should really think twice. For most of the walk you will be in full sun, with very little areas of shade. A good part of the walk up the lower slope, is across the side of the mountain, with the sun reflecting off the rock directly onto the track. It is quite a steep slope and I can assure everyone that it is very hot up there. If you do want to go to the top of Oxa, I suggest you leave it until later in the year when it is much cooler i.e. September or October.

If you do want to do some walking whilst in Elounda I refer you to the book ''Ten Interesting Walks in Elounda For Holidaymakers'' There you will find a good selection of interesting walks, which are not too exhausting at this time of the year, and where you can explore some other interesting areas of Elounda.

Enjoy your holiday

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olous sunken city

Thank you for that. I would like to do some walks. Where can I get the book?

Kind regards

Elounda
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Olous sunken city

Just visit Lynnette at Elektos Bookshop and she will oblige.

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olous sunken city

davisreg is the expert on the walks and he is exactly right! I've tried the Oxa walk in late April...miserable fail!

We carry the walking book and it's very popular - one of our best sellers - and we use it for reference for folks.

There is also on Mondays and Thursdays a FREE guided walk leaving from the 'Birds of Peace' statue in the Elounda main square at 10.00. For those of you not familiar with the square, just follow the signs for the Spinalonga Boat Stations, and it's there :)

Eklektos

Edited: 18 June 2014, 15:51
Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations