We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel republic - should I do it?!

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Travel republic - should I do it?!

I'm thinking on visiting elounda and the Akti Olous in june next year and Travel Republic have a very good offer for this hotel at the moment. I've never booked through TR or any other third party websites before so just wondered if they are reliable? I don't want to arrive and find the hotel has no record of my booking!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

Hi there

Travel Republic have a good reputation, I can't recall anyone complainig about them in all the time I've been on TA's Greece forums. Just make sure the flight is to Iraklion and not to Chania as you would then be in for a very time consuming transfer ( and very expensive for you if a transfer isn't included).

Once booked, there's no reason why you can't contact the hotel to put your mind at rest.

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

Thanks GB, yes know the arrival airport thankfully - a friend booked the wrong one this year and had a very long transfer, so I shall be learning from their mistake!

On the subject of transfers, I see that private taxis can be very expensive (preferred method) however, shuttle coach can take several hours to Elounda. The cheaper speedy shuttle looks like a possible alternative, has anyone had experience of this type of transfer?

Thanks!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

Hi again

Most tour operators quote the maximum time for a transfer, if it's a straight through run to Elounda, it shouldn't be more than 75 minutes or so, but if you have set downs at various resorts en route, it will of course be longer. You could take a look at some of the dedicated transfer companies, they are competitively priced and usually use smaller vehicles, thus tend to be faster as there aren't so many set downs

Take a look at transfers4U, A2B Transfers, ResortHoppa and Travel Republic themselves, who, if you're booking the holiday with them, might be cheaper anyway as part of a deal.

Taxi to the resort is going to be around €75 each way, so if you intend renting a car, collect it at the airport and save the taxi fare or other transfer costs.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

We've booked our holiday to Sissi through TR for next June. Booked flights through them several times & a hotel in Santorini this year which was exellent value.

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

Thanks for the positive feedback! I usually book direct with the hotel and do my own flights and transfers, but the hotel seems to only have 1 type of room available and wants payment in full upfront (unlike TR).

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
696 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

That may be because you are a little early to book rooms for next year. I am finding that with some of the smaller hotels that I am trying to book directly for our trip next May, only one room of each type is available on their website. ( I need two) It's because they have not set prices yet for next season. Sometimes emailing them directly can take care of that.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

I can't actually believe how laid back it is with regards to booking next year. We already have half our next years bookings for our place in BG - all the owners out there pounce on prospective clients as soon as interest is shown, but for planning our own holiday in Crete quite a few places I looked at on HolidayLettings had not set prices for next year, and just said they would be doing it later (end of conversation), and half the hotels on booking.com are showing as sold out for early in the season (which I presume means prices not ready yet or not even bothering to open).

Is this lack of interest because Crete is so busy, and they just don't need to fight for business?

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

We have used TR several times with no problems, Infact we booked Akti olous through them 3 years ago.

You won't have a problem with TR or Akti.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

Hi, I have used Travel Republic lots of times and they have never let me down.

Devon
Level Contributor
132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel republic - should I do it?!

We have just booked Akti Olous through Travel Republic for the first week of June. As you said, it did seem very good value, I am not too worried but shall probably email the hotel nearer to the time to say that we have a preference for a double room rather then a twin.

We have not been to Crete before so are excited to be going somewhere different after years of going to the paradise of Dalyan in Turkey. I shall be checking the forum regularly for up to date information!

Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations