We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Heywood, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

I can't decide between the 2 of these places for a holiday in May.

Sunrise has fantastic reviews BUT, from the photos I've seen the Pool area looks quite small & not a lot of sunbeds - as a sun worshiper this is putting me off slightly.

Residence not such good reviews but the views from the place look to be stunning. I'm not afraid of the walk or the hill to the Residence BUT, as a lone female traveler I am wondering what the walk home in the evening would be like. Is the road up to there well lit & safe for walking in the dark ?

Can anyone help me please ?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

hi I have been going to Elounda for over 20 years if I was going on my own think I would opt for the Elounda Sunrise much closer to everything yes the pool area is much smaller but in may shouldnt be a problem you also have the beach less than a minute away and only a couple of mins to the nearest restaurants also being a smaller complex much friendlier hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

I've not stayed at the Sunrise, but have been to the Residence a couple of times (and am going back this year). The Sunrise is a lot nearer to everything, but the benefit of the Residence is that because it's up the hill you get an absolutely stunning view, and the benefit of a really quiet location. For me, the walk down to the village is one of the plus points and a key part of the holiday for me. But I have to say that the walk back at night is not well lit. I'd say you'd be pretty safe, but you'd need a really good torch with you. I haven't done that walk by myself in the dark since I was 18 - that's 21 years ago when I stayed at the Pinelope, half way up the hill. It was fine then, but very dark. It really depends how comfortable you are walking in the dark by yourself. A taxi up to the Residence from the village square is only 5 Euros though.

As for friendliness - the Residence is much bigger than Sunrise yes, but it doesn't feel like that because the owners and staff are really very friendly and I have seen lone female travellers there be very well looked after.

Whatever you do, Elounda is a great place to go, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
86 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

Have never stayed at the Residence, but it's worth bearing in mind that the Sunrise has a couple of really small and dark rooms (the small studios), which you may well end up in if you are on your own. There are two in particular on the side of the front building, very dark with tiny seating areas outside and everyone else going to their rooms in both front and back building walks along the path within about 2 feet of your seating area. So very public.

4. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 17:59
5. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 17:59
wales
Level Contributor
296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

Stayed at residence last june.lovely pool area

Lovely views

But wouldn't go back.the walk is a killer.we love a walk but that hill is really steep even down hill.only managed it once in 2 weeks! A taxi was €5.also courtesy bus runs down at 10.30 and back at 15.00

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

The Sunrise apartments are very good and really close to the little beach and some lovely tavernas. However the pool is very small and there aren't many sunbeds. The other thing I can add from experience is that as a single female I was put into one of the small almost sub-terranien rooms with no balcony and a tiny terrace, below the level of the wasteland next to it. No room to sit or lounge comfortably. Maybe ok if you only use room to sleep. However, all the other rooms seemed fine.

Heywood, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately the Residence appears to be fully booked now & for some reason, I just can't take to the Sunrise - if I was to end up in one of the small dark rooms it would spoil my holiday ! Still looking for now.................

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

Hi Lindy

There are plenty of good choices for you but I can highly recommend the Olive Grove Apartments although you will not get a view.

Happy searching!

Ann

London, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elounda Sunrise OR Elounda Residence ????

That's a shame about the Residence being fully booked. I'm actually surprised that it's full in May because it's quite big, and we've been there in June and July and it's not even been full then. Might be worth looking around various different sites or contacting them direct.

But otherwise there are lots of other places to stay. We stayed at the Blue Bay (Now Elounda Blu) before it got poshed up a couple of years ago and it was really good.

Also - Hiona apartments gets very good reviews, although I've never stayed there myself. It's also in a great spot on the causeway - gorgeous views, an easy walk (even at night) from the village centre and very handy for the Canal Bar (a *perfect* spot).