We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Hi all, just can't decide between The Blue Palace in Elounda and the Daios Cove in Ag Nik so need advice please. We are going for 10 days end of June; will chill for the first few days, then hire a car to explore for the middle bit, then relax for a few days before home. We are both 50, work hard and are in need of a bit of luxury. The problem is that I really am super fussy and pick up every flaw, which is a pain for me and even moreso for my long suffering hubby... We have done really well on recent hols with some brilliant hotels and am worried our lucky streak may end!

It would be a superior bungalow seaview at the Blue Palace or a deluxe seaview room with private pool at the Daios. Both are on free half board promos but we don't feel tied to that and will want to eat out some evenings too. I know that the Palace is close to Plaka and Elounda but the Daios is nearer Ag Nik which is obviously a bigger resort... but both hotels look a little isolated; is there anywhere to walk to dinner without having to rely on buses/taxis? Or is either hotel so amazing that we won't want to leave?! ;-) Thanks in advance.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Hi,

I am in a rush now but if you don't get any relies I will come back tomorrow.

Not stayed at the Daios but we are going back to the Blue Palace.

Blue Palace is 45-min walk to Elounda or about 7e and a bus every 2 hours. The edge of the grounds are just in Plaka. Plaka has about 12 restaurants and a few craft shops and a mini market. We have booked the 1/2 board at BP but we walk in to Plaka everyday and enjoy a Greek salad or fish in one of the restaurants.

At the BP our favourite restaurant is the Blue Door which is a converted fisherman's cottage so all the tables are outside near the beach with views across to Spinalonga ( download the menu) the food at the Blue Door is rustic Greek, which we like. Must dash but breakfast is amazing, fantastic poached eggs and honey and biscuits for breakfast. Must pop in to Plaka mini market to pick up the best honey in the world.

Keith.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

HI there

I can't comment on the hotels, but I can on the locations of both....the Daios Cove hotel is in a wonderful location, but you are right its very isolated and there is no way you could walk to anywhere from here, as it is located on the national road that runs the length of the island - time wise it would take 15 mins to drive to the town of Agios Nikolaos, however, the village of Istro is only a a couple of mins drive away, which does have a selection of bars and a handful of tavernas too.

The Blue Palace is walking distance to the village of Plaka, which has some excellent tavernas,..... as Keith has already said - so location wise I would go for the Blue Palace :-)

If you would like any information regarding places to visit in the area then do just ask :-)

3. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 13:35
Surrey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Thanks Keith, that's really good to know. And hubby loves good honey so that will make him happy too ;-)

Surrey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Many thanks MG, Great expert info on the area that I couldn't get anywhere else :-) Sounds as if it's the Blue Palace for us then!

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

No problem :-) have a wonderful holiday :-)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

We stayed at the Blue Palace last year and really loved it. It is a really relaxing place. We walked into Plaka every day and even though we had free half board we ate there on a couple of evenings and a couple of lunch times. It is a nice little place to wander round. We were able to eat in any of the restaurants at the Blue Palace and choose anything from the A la Care menu apart from one or two dishes where you had to pay a small supplement. We thought all of the restaurants were very good. The Flame restaurant is mainly steaks etc, The Blue Door is Greek and right on the waters edge, there is an Italian down by the swimming pool and an Asian restaurant right up the top. The menus are in your room so you can have a good browse before booking which restaurants you want to eat at. You do need to book at least a day before or you may have to eat really late at night. We got caught out on the day we arrived as we didn't realise and didn't really want to eat as late as 10pm after traveling all day, so if you want to eat in hotel on your first night make sure you book as soon as you can. We thought the food quality was very good. The breakfast was great with lots of choice.

The views are stunning and Spinalonga is really close. The buses are modern and reliable and we caught the bus to Elounda and Ag Nik.

We found it a very peaceful relaxing place to be. I am sure we will return.

Surrey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Thanks for your comments TwigsOxford, your holiday sounds like our ideal trip. We booked last night on these recommendations and are really looking forward to it now. Did you book transfers ahead or just get a taxi from the airport?

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Hi again

Not sure what the hotel taxi service will charge you, but last year the taxi fare from the airport to Elounda was 80/85 euros - as a guide :-)

However, I would hire a car if you don't mind driving cost wise its around 20/25 euros per day and hiring a car is going to give you flexibility to travel around this beautiful area of Crete :-)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Palace or Daios Cove for service and location?

Our transfers were included in our holiday package so I have no idea. I am pleased to see that MG has offered some suggestions.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 19:27