We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stirling or euro

northumberland
Level Contributor
263 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Stirling or euro

First time in elounda in July. Usually go to turkey and take Stirling and change there. Don't know about Crete. What would be better. Stirling, euro, travellers cheques or ATM. Any help would be appreciated.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stirling or euro

Take as many Euros as you feel safe with, and use ATM's to top up when needed Just check your debit/credit card charges before you go. or use a pre-paid card. T' Cheques are the most expensive way of changing money, and Stirling is just more cash to worry about.

northumberland
Level Contributor
263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stirling or euro

Thanks will you get better rate of euro by changing stirling in Crete

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stirling or euro

No, your best exchange is (on line) in the UK, or with a card at an ATM in Greece. Its just some cards are a lot better than others.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 20:00
Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
831 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stirling or euro

Hi Lyn,

I think exchange rates are generally better in UK. We usually take a reasonable amount of euros and top up as necessary using ATM, BUT check which cards you use to withdraw money as fees on some are very high.

If you can afford to get euro before start of summer rush, may get better exchange rate (or so I've been told).

Hope you enjoy Elounda, we will be back for third visit in Sept.

Nic :-)

northumberland
Level Contributor
263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stirling or euro

Thanks. Think it will be euros before we go Cheers

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stirling or euro

Hi there

As long as your accommodation has a safe then take all euros with ...it's just so much easier :-) and generally changing larger amounts in the uk you get a better rate..I have been doing this for over ten years to various destinations ..and as long as you have a safe..then it's fine :-)

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stirling or euro

Just a quick PS to all the above - please be aware that changing money at the airport will cost you a fortune!

Their rates are usually bad and some also charge a large commission!

We have a place that changes money here in Elounda and I usually keep an eye on their offered rates - usually changing daily and quite good - however they do charge a commission. MG - do you know what they charge at the hire place on the square??

Have a good holiday!

Eklektos

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stirling or euro

Hi Lynneth

Yes good point ..never exchange money at the airport, I tend to shop around Thomas Cook, post office and marks and Spencer's the banks, as the rate does tend to vary..so no Lynneth I don't use any exchanges in Crete..as I said we take euros with us..save the hassle of exchanging sterling or looking for ATM :-)

Cardiff
Level Contributor
91 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stirling or euro

We always take euros with us too and have found that by far the best exchange rate locally to us is with Ramsden's and they give the same rate for small amounts as they do for large as some exchanges only give the higher rate if over £500 is spent. Last week their rate was 1.20

10. Re: Stirling or euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations