We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Advice Please

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Advice Please

We have just booked flights to Heraklion Sept 13th for 2 weeks.We are now deciding on a resort and have been focussing on Elounda. We like smaller resorts that are not too busy or touristy and more ' Greek' perhaps with an old town. We holidayed in Kassiopi Corfu last year and really enjoyed it, as we love the pretty harbour, Greek people, food & laid back pace of life

We have a 3 yr old daughter but she is happy with a pool / beach and a play ground (kids clubs not req'd).

Any advice would be much appreciated before we decide to go through the maze of finding suitable accommodation.

Thank you,

Add.

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Advice Please

Elounda is a great choice, sounds the perfect type of place you like, harbour, not too big, lovely sandy beach.

I have only stayed at the akti olous or sunrise apts which I wouldn't say either are ideal for a little one, I am sure some others will give you a recommended hotel.

An alternative would be Sissi, very similar type place, my favourite.

Its beaches are not sandy, there is a couple of sandy beaches nearby but you would need to walk quite a way or hire a car, the beaches are nice all the same.

If you do consider Sissi, then have a look at the MariGianna, lovely pool for children and a separate little pool for little ones, surrounded by a lovely grassed area to run and play with a huge playhouse, climbing frame, slide.

Either of these 2 and you will have a lovely holiday, great places to eat and very good value for money,

Enjoy and feel free to ask anything.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort Advice Please

Hi there

We went to kassiopi last year too and love the village, just right for us too.....so I would say that Elounda will be perfect for you, a very pretty harbour to wander around with a good selection of tavernas too...I would say slightly larger than Kassiopi, but not by much :-) Elounda also has a sandy beach which is a must with a three year old, and there is also a play ground on this beach which gets busy with the local children once the sun goes down :-) driving wise from the airport is just under an hour so a relatively short transfer time with a little one too....if you do decide on Elounda then do come back and ask any questions as we have lots of Elounda regulars who post on here :-)

halifax
Level Contributor
877 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Advice Please

Hi Add

If you like Kassiopi, you will love Elounda a lot of similarities with harbour and tavernas set round the bay but Elounda is larger and a little bit more going off in the evenings but not too busy or rowdy.

We will be in Elounda from the 12th September for a week and will be meeting friends that we met there over a year ago but who strangely live only 10 minutes away from us.

We stay at Hiona s/c apartments which are in a fabulous position next to the sea they have a lovely pool but do not have a special childrens pool although there was a young girl staying there last year who really enjoyed it.

The walk to the harbour takes about 10 to 15 minutes right on the edge of the water and there are tavernas all the way along.

The main beach is a further 5 minutes but there is also a smaller beach with facilities at the other end of the village.

There are plenty of boat trips to Spinalonga and some lovely walks in the area which is flat.

You will be spoilt for choice with all the tavernas and there are still lots that we haven't tried yet.

If you require any further information please ask and enjoy whatever you decide.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
87 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Advice Please

Hello Add

You can't go wrong with Elounda. It's such a lovely place and there's plenty to do while you're here. The village itself is lovely with lots of cafe bars & tavernas with a huge variety to suit all tastes & budgets as described by other forum posters too. There are plenty of lovely walks around the village such as the coastal walks to the causeway or Plaka or up into the lovely villages above Elounda. The Happy Train does a short trip to Plaka or a longer one with a lunch stop in the village above Plaka which your little girl would love I'm sure and if you go to Agios Nikolaos another thing she would probably enjoy would be a trip on the 'Semi Submarine' which operates a few times daily and takes you out to a small reef in Mirabello Buy-it has an underwater viewing pod where you can watch all the fish swimming by,our grandsons loved it when they went on it a few years ago

If you decide on Elounda,you won't be disappointed and will receive a warm welcome,the people are so nice and really friendly

Wherever you decide to stay on Crete hope you have a wonderful time

Cardiff
Level Contributor
87 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Advice Please

Previous post should say Mirabello Bay not Buy!!

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort Advice Please

We also stayed in Kassiopi last year and loved it! When looking for a similar resort, I decided that Elounda fitted the bill. All the reviews pretty much give the impression the town is lovely, and as we go at the end of June I'll certainly be posting my review of the place upon my return. We are staying at the Akti Olous which may not be suitable because of the 6ft deep pool with no shallow end. I hope wherever you stay, you and your family have a great holiday!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort Advice Please

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to post replies to our question which are really appreciated.

We have decided to go for Elounda as it sounds like our type of place.

Checked availability for Akti Olous but unfortunately full.

Will keep searching, looking preferably for a 1 bed apartment with decent balcony and pool, close to beach and also close to Elounda centre. (not easy getting all the boxes ticked without paying a fortune).

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Add.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort Advice Please

Hiona apartments you have to book through Thomas cook.we going back for 5th year. Please have a look at site. 9apartments basic but fab. Can give you further information if you require.

Bristol
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort Advice Please

Olive Grove Apartments are very close to Elounda Centre & a short flat walk to the beach. Accommodation is in 1 bedroom apartments. They have a main pool which is 1.5 metres deep as well as a childrens' pool. We'll be there for our 6th time in June. Check out trip advisor reviews & their web site.

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort Advice Please

agree with all the above...Olive Grove Is very good, however they do have party nights sometimes but Julia is amazing and I'm sure she would be happy to help with any queries - her site is listed here with an email, but if you have any problems, message me and I'll go and ask for you!!

Hiona is lovely also, but on the other side of the harbour are also Portabello, Corali, :Lena and Manos apartments...think they are all with tour operators, but worth having a look...Eleni at Corali and Portabello is REALLY nice, and they get return bookings year on year. They have a nice area at the back and a pool, and are set back slightly from the road, but just across from the beaches...

As I say, message me if you want anything asked - or find us on Facebook and PM.

Eklektos

Edited: 07 April 2014, 08:47