We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elounda v Skiathos Town!

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Devon
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Elounda v Skiathos Town!

Hi

This year we'll be visiting Skiathos Town for the 5th year in a row, so we're returning to Crete next year. We've stayed near Chania for many years, but Elounda has always been on my hitlist as we've yet to venture past the Lasithi Plateaux before. Based on our love of Chania and Skiathos Town, please can you let me know how Elounda will compare - thank you.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elounda v Skiathos Town!

The biggest difference is size. Compared to Skiathos Town, Elounda is a small village. The main area of Elounda, from the causeway round the harbour to the other side, is about 1km with a maximum depth of 200m. The area of the main part of Skiathos Town is probably about 1000m x 800m, and of course the buildings are packed in very tightly! I would estimate the population of ST to be about 3 times higher at least. The other big difference is that Skiathos Town is of course the capital of the island, with a high year-round population, ferries coming and going, all types of shops, whereas Elounda is more geared towards the tourist market. I've not been in winter, but I believe that most places are closed. It is of course very near Agios Nikolaos, which is a year-round town.

Elounda has a particularly lovely position opposite the islands, and of course unlike Skiathos Town proper it has a beach. I'm sure you would have a great time there, as long as you realise it isn't anything like as big or bustling.

Of course, Chania could easily swallow up Skiathos Town, Elounda and Agios Nikolaos all put together, but I think it's probably true to say that most visitors don't linger much in the modern suburbs of what is a large town of well over 50000 inhabitants, and almost 100000 within a few miles.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
86 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elounda v Skiathos Town!

Elounda isn't as lively as Skiathos Town but has a charm all of it's own which is why lots of people return year after year. There's a large selection of tavernas and restaurants to choose from to suit all tastes and budgets and a plenty of bars,some of which are open until late. The people in the village are the friendliest you could wish to meet and there are some lovely walks in and around the village and am excellent bus service to Agios Nikolaos. It's far cheaper to eat out and drink here than Skiathos Town although that's a lovely place to stay too

When you visit Elounda which I hope you do,it's better to do self catering or BB rather than stay in one of the big hotels just outside,that way you'll be able to enjoy all that this beautiful place has to offer

These are lots of excellent posts to read on this forum from people who live here and frequent visitors too

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elounda v Skiathos Town!

Hi folks!

Just a couple of things from me ( as always!)

Elounda has a population of around 2500 people most of the year - at Easter this almost doubles as families come back to their home for the festivities.

While many places do close in the Winter, there is still a thriving community here. This is a working village, and many of the fishermen, and shop owners also have farms in the hills - they have to pick the olives, sort them, make the oil and do the most important thing...make the raki!!

We don't get the ferry services here - they would run aground as the waters are so shallow, but we do get a lot of visitors on buses to Elounda and Plaka from the cruise liners and all over the island. The island of Spinalonga had approximately 2 million visitors last year, and although much was driven by the exhibition over there, we still get quite a lot!

At the moment, one of the hotels between Elounda and Plaka is building a 22million Euro extension, so confidence here is high, and I have to agree with Ouzolovers: if you can go B & B or SC and come out and see our wonderful array of places (last count 74 eateries of various price ranges).

When you arrive, if youo need any help, please come and see us at the bookshop, and we'll be pleased to oblige - there's no tourist information here :)

Eklektos

Devon
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elounda v Skiathos Town!

Thank you all for your very comprehensive replies - I really appreciate your efforts and you've certainly squashed any doubts I had! I will book for next year! I wouldn't consider anything other than SC/BB - a major draw for us is the dining experience - I love eating outside and meeting new people as strangers and leaving as friends at the end of the night. Already looking forward to it - and yes - we'll come and find you in the book shop!! Hope you all enjoy the summer!

5. Re: Elounda v Skiathos Town!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24