We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elouda or ag nik?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Elouda or ag nik?

Hi... Me again!

Just a quick one,

What are the main differences between elounda and ag nik?

I'm all about lovely beaches and Havania and Katsikia have caught my eye which I believe are nearer to ag nik?

Thanks,

A

wales
Level Contributor
319 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Hi.stayed in elounda last june.loved it.went on bus to ag nic.much bigger there and cosmopolitan. Beach looked tiny there.would definitely go back to elounda. But ag nic.only a visit.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Hi there

It really depends on what you want from your holiday, Agios is a working Greek town, while Elounda is a small tourist resort/village. Both are laid back and tend to attract couples and families. Agios tends to have a bigger Greek community who live there, as it’s that much larger….so I think feels more Greek, and has a greater choice of shops, bars and tavernas. It also has four town beaches, three of which are sandy, and beautiful mountain and sea views from the whole of the town, with of course the pretty bottomless lake too.

Elounda has a lovely little harbour with pretty views, and the causeway views are stunning, it has more of a holiday feel about the place, with a great selection of tavernas and bars , and good sandy beach right in the centre.

You mention Havania beach which is located on the road that leads from Agios into Elounda, this is a lovely beach and one of our favourite town beaches too, from this beach it would be a 35 min walk to the very centre of Agios .....not sure of your budget but why not look at somewhere like the Mirabella Apartments which are located just by Havania beach, and on the bus route - so you could spend time in either Elounda or Agios?

http://www.mirabella.gr/

But the best thing is that you are only ever 10 mins away by car from either of them …so no matter which one you stay in you will get two resorts for the price of one :-)

We have a property in Agios so it is obviously my preference, but I still love Elounda, and always spend a few nights of every trip in Elounda, so I don't think you will go wrong with either :-)

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Hi Ho -

If you stay in Elounda, you can get a bus to/from Havania - the regular service bus stops and pipcks up there right through the summer

Eklektos

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Thanks everyone - really helpful replies!

I'm really torn to be honest, we're looking to go in September so if there's a bus running that would be ideal as I don't think we'd hire a car. It's just me and my boyfriend, we love beaches and the ones directly in ag. Nik from the pics I've seen don't seem our kind of beaches, they looked quite crowded which we don't enjoy. Is havania beach busy in September? Is there a cafe / taverna there to get food?

Thanks again for your help!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Hi there

Havania beach is an Agios beach .....but it is slightly out of town and in September it shouldn't be that busy I was in Agios week before last and it was quiet :-) there is a bar/snack bar on the beach which should still be open in September but if not just behind the beach is the lovely Olga taverna which is excellent and has views across the beach which are beautiful :-) have a look at the reviews link below for this taverna

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189414-…

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Forgot to say there is a good bus service that's runs along the road that leads out of Agios into Elounda ...here's a link to the timetable

bus-service-crete.com/timetabledet.php…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Havannia beach is fantastic. Olga's is our favourite restaurant in the area ( Aghios. Or Elounda)

And it sits above the Beach Which has it's own snack bar. Though you will be welcomed at Olga's even if you just want a drink/Snack.

When we stay at Havannia we stay at the Paradise Apts ( just google the name). A small family run affair with the glorious Tula who is almost an Aunty to our kids.

Mirabello is a sprawling, mainly German hotel. That may be a little too "tourist" for you

Try the Paradise Apts. Set in an Olive grove just behind Olga's

The walk down into Aghios takes you past numerous bars/ restaurants and even an unfit 50odd yrr old enjoys the stroll. 35/40 mins tops. Plus a couple of beach's on the way to visit

Elounda is glorious. Probably not wise to walk to from Havannia area as it is up hill for a stretch with poor footpaths. And yes We have walked it in blazing heat !

Lots of smaller beach's to explore here away from the centre...

We are in Elounda next week....and then again Sept/ Oct.

Olympic Holidays have some great deals at the moment.... But I would seriously check out the paradise Apts in Havannia

Have a great time. Believe me... If Crete bites... You will keep returning year after year :)

16 years for us :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Amazing info - thanks so much. Really useful hearing from the people who know and love these places.

I'm still torn. Part of me thinks Elounda looks prettier, it just might be a little quiet at night. And then ag nik looks lovely but perhaps not as scenic, but then it has the lovely shops to satisfy me!

Decisions decisions!

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

aaw - come to Elounda - there's always something going on!!

OK, we maybe don't have the disco thing, but there's always somewhere doing something...Rady's does a mellow, jazz themed night with DJ Sam, Mario's had Friday open mic night when they take requests for anything you want to hear anyway - he also does 60's70's80's night Sunday, Hiona and Jungle both 'do' Karaoke nights and BBQ nights, Oasis does quiz night and occasionally Rock N Roll Bingo ( cards list songs insteadof numbers!)

Alyggos haas a modern music night tonight with 2 local )(brilliant) DJs which will go on till stupid o'clock knowing the Cretans, Olive Grove does live music sometimes...

All I can think of at the moment, apart from Wednesday night at Mam's...Cretan music and dancing + some lovely Europen songs modern and a little older..

that do to make your mind up lol

Eklketos

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elouda or ag nik?

Haha brilliant!! My only reservation is the amount of shops, seems like you have loads of restaurants though!

How big is elounda? Is it all centred around the harbour?

Thanks Eklketos :)

Edited: 28 June 2014, 14:25