We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus

Glasgow
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Octopus

It will be our first visit to Crete and Elounda in early October and really looking forward to it. Staying at the Tasmania Village. I know I'll be lurking on the forum until then to get a feel for the place.

Weird question I know but I have heard that octopus is a delicacy in Crete. Stayed in Rhodes a few years ago and was too scared to try it when on the menu. I do like fish and calamari etc. What does it taste like and what is the best way to order it? I have seen reference to octopus stifado on here a few times and am intrigued!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus

Hey and welcome flesGlasgow:-) One of my very fave meals.. or meze (app) in Greece;-) Look forward to feasting on it many times while there every year;-) Best, imo, is simply grilled.. some olive oil and that's it;-) You'll also find it as an app with vinegar.. not to my liking though, lol! Difficult to say what it tastes like.. pretty unique.. give it a try.. and hope you EnJOY!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus

Yes I agree Litsa :-) lemon and olive oil is the best :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus

.. perfectly grilled.. crispy on the outside.. soft on the inside;-)) I'm hungry;-)) Enjoyin'!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus

Stop,it!!!! Now your making me hungry too !!!! :-) ;-)

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Octopus

Well said above, just it'd be a pity to miss it, it's really nothing to be scared about! I agree grilled is the best

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
591 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Octopus

Octopus stifado is to die (or live) for!

Barrow in Furness
Level Contributor
490 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Octopus

The term stifado means basically a stew...I've actually made stifado with squid, and it was wonderful...have to say I'm not a big fan of octopus, but agree with the guys, it's nice grilled with oil and lemon - you have to try it here - fresh and completely different from anywhere else!

Eklektos

Edited: 30 June 2014, 13:13
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Octopus

Was at the Tasmania this time last year. Had a great time. Ask George about Octopus. Lovely man. He may even take you out on his boat to catch some ,!

Enjoy your trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Octopus

Ps

I put a quite lengthy post on Trip advisor. Simon Gtr Manchester. May help you

Glasgow
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Octopus

Well thank you all, I think I will try the grilled octopus as a mezze and if I like it then it could be a regular thing! Thanks Simon pretty sure I would have read your review already as read most of the recent ones 😊 really looking forward to it, think Elounda sounds just about right for us.

Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations