We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up... This museum was closed when we visited in March of this year (2007) I think they are moving the collection to a newer building. Not much info about when it would reopen, but if this is your main reason for visting Iraklion you would really want to find out if it has reopened first. Looking back,, I wish we had stayed in the Chania area for our entire week on Crete. Much prettier, quieter and cleaner. Exploring the western end of Crete was truly memorable.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

Hi W W

I believe they are totally revamping the existing building and there is no clear indication as to when it will reopen.

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

I've heard that there are supposed to be some exhibits open in some alternate location.

The GNTO office in New York says this is so, but couldn't tell me where. They said to ask at my hotel when I get there.

So I'm hoping to see some of the stuff, but not counting on it. Quite sad that both this museum and Akrotiri excavation on Thera are closed when I can finally go over to see them.

NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

Even though Arkoteri on Santorini is closed, you will really enjoy the ancient Thera site there. It is a very, winding drive up to the highest point in Santorini and the ruins there are amazing. I actually found it more interesting than Knossos because the access is not as limited and the view is wonderful.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

Just back from Heraklion, the museum was closed. Our driver called but couldn't find any information about an alternative or temporary exhibit.

California
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

Here is a story regarding the museum closure.

cretegazette.com/2007-05/Heraklion_Museum_cl…

6. Re: Archaelogical Museum in Iraklion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Heraklion