We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day visit to chania

Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1 day visit to chania

We will be in Heraklion for 3 days. Is it possible to do a day trip to Chania? If so, would it be best to rent a car, or travel by bus?

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day visit to chania

I would suggest going by the excellent Crete bus service. There are regular buses to/from Chania taking just under 3 hours The Chania bus station is only a 10 minute walk to the harbour. Though I have driven in the Crete countryside without problem, I would not fancy driving in the streets of Heraklion or Chania.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day visit to chania

use the public bus they go from Heraklion every hour

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Hi there

A car would cost you around €30 for one day, the single bus fare to Chania from Iraklion is €13,80 so if there are two of you, the bus ride there and back will cost you €55,20. Obviously there's the cost of fuel to take into account with a car. A small car like a Peugeot 107 would take use much more than 4 gallons there and back which would cost you about €32. If the ride merely entails getting out of Iraklion and into Chania, it's OK, but obviously it's your call. The entire route is along the E75 New National Road, which is well maintained and fast.

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Iraklion Hotel
Iraklion Hotel
321 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Kirkwall
Level Contributor
300 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Hi,

Although we always have a car when we are in Crete, for a day out like this I would agree that the bus would be best.

There's lots to see on the drive and, from the coach, you can both take in all the sights.

When you get to Chania you will be able to enjoy your whole day without having to find parking (can be a bit of a challenge although we usually find somewhere) and you can have a drink when you eat if you want.

After a day enjoying the delights of this wonderful city I'm sure you'll appreciate a stress-free air conditioned run back to Heraklion!

Hope you love it as much as I do!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Thanks for your great replies. Just 1 more question. If we were to go by car, would it take the same amount of time, as by bus? 3 hours, each way by bus seems to be a long day. Thanks

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Hour and a half by car

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Actually, that to Georpopolis, add another half an hour to Chania

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Car definately would be faster and withy three of you it is the least expensive option.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Since I am from Creta (and living in Athens), Creta drivers are one of the worst drivers I have ever met. So, I suggest you to go by bus.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day visit to chania

Well that is not very helpful Cacofonix.

Although I don't drive in Crete, my OH has, on many trips, with absolutely no problem.

The national road is an easy road to drive and I can't see why the OP should have any problems whatsoever. :O) :O)

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece