We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Heraklion to Chania

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
1 post
Save Topic
travel from Heraklion to Chania

Hi.I travel with family 2 adults+1chaild. loking for a cheep car for rent or find train conection?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Hey and welcome lukaszenko:-) Well, I don't believe you'll find a train.. but there is bus service:) Am sure someone in the know will shortly kick in with some rental reco's .. and further bus info for you;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Edited: 17 February 2013, 21:52
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Here's the current bus timetable (3rd one down):

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

It may change a bit in summer, but not much.

It takes just under 3 hours.

Car rental is available from about €25 per day, more in high season or for a bigger car. There have been quite a few threads about recommended companies recently, including this one:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189417-i681-k44…

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Hi there

if you just need a car to reach Chania from Iraklion, then you'd be better off taking the bus. Even if you find a cheap rental company, they will probably charge an excess for dropping off in Chania. If however you want a car to explore the area once in Chania, then obviously, a car is the only real option. No rail service on Crete I'm afraid.

Heraklion, Greece
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Try to avoid car rental for one day because if you add car rental cost, one way charge + petrol which is about 1.85/litre you better take a taxi...

Best option is the bus.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Yes of course, one day hire isn't any good, but if you have even any idea of needing a car for a week or so, thenit will be very cost-effective.

Bologna, Italy
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Hi! i want to get to ios from chania, so i have to go to herakion right? how does the bus works? since its a 3 hour trip does it have a bathroom or it stops on the way? thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Yes, you'll have to travel from Heraklion to Chania by bus.

The bus stops in Rethymnon, about 1.5-2 hours from Chania. It's usually a short stop of a couple of minutes, so if you want to get out to use the toilet just tell the driver, and he will wait for you. (You won't be the only one.)

Edited: 10 April 2013, 09:12
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Hello dear travelers.

I will be in Chania, and I have a ferry to take from Heraklion

at 8.20 morning to Santorini. Does this mean that I need to travl to Heraklion

at night? How early does the bus leave to give me enough time to catch the ferry at 8.20.

Thank you

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

I'm afraid it means that if you want to go by bus you will have to travel the night before and spend the night in Heraklion. The first bus leaves at 6.30 am, and the journey takes 2 hours and 45 minutes. The last bus leaves at 9 pm.

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Alternatively you can take a taxi: the fare is currently around 150 euros.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from Heraklion to Chania

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I think I will leave the day before I take the ferry, and make a road trip out of it instead of just going to there to catch the ferry. Do you think this is a good idea? What are the interesting places worth stopping by on the way from Chania to Haraklion? If I take a taxi for this purpose, and have him the whole day for us, what fare should I be looking at?

thank you so much for your assistance!

Get answers to your questions about Heraklion