We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Heraklion

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Heraklion

I will be visiting Crete at the beginning of June. I have one full day in the city of Heraklion, and I would like to see Knossos (yes, I realize it's reconstructed and touristy, but it would be silly to be so close and not see it). I know I don't have time to see all the other sites to the east, but is there anything else I'd have time for other than Knossos in a day? Should I just plan on visiting around the city itself for the remainder of the time? And does anyone have any advice on whether it's better to visit Knossos early and then tour the city or vice versa?

Thank you!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Heraklion

Hi there

If you berth early, e.g. by say 8am latest, I would get straight to Knossos. The bus station is just a short, level walk from the cruise berths, on the same street. Exit the cruise terminal, turn right and the bus station is on the left, you can't miss it as it sits beneath the massive Sabbionera Bastion of the old city walls. Buy your bus ticket in the smaller, separate kiosk here, it's in the main bus station but set to one side.. flickr.com/photos/…set-72157624830156381

The bus runs all day, every 20-30 mins and drops you within 100 yards of the entrance to Knossos. The ride takes anything between 15 and 30 mins, depending upon traffic and last time I took it, the fare was €3,00 return. The reason to go early ( it opens at 8am) is that the light is softer in the morning and hopefully, as long as all your shipmates don't decide to do the same as you, you find the place relatively free of other visitors until 10am or so when the first tour coaches start to arrive. If you don't arrive in dock early, then leave Knossos for later in the afternoon, most of the tour coaches have cleared out by 4pm.

Knossos

flickr.com/photos/…

For the rest of the day, have a leisurely wander around Iraklion; big and bustling it may be but it has some wonderful sights and they are all must-sees in my opinion. Everything can be walked to, it's reasonably flat and totally safe. Any half decent guide book will detail all that's on offer and should provide a map so you can see where everything is in relation to everything else.

Here's what you'll find..

flickr.com/photos/…

if you need any help with "what to see?" in Iraklion, then please, just post again.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Heraklion

What great advice from G.B, and don;t worry about anyones negative opinion of Knosses, it is a great site, well worth a visit as is the town of Heraklion

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Heraklion

Thanks for the advice, GB. I'm actually flying in (not sailing), and will have two nights in Heraklion before heading to Chania. Is there anything cool/fun to do in the evening? I've got a nice list of daytime sightseeing that I've gathered from the other posts on this forum.

Debs, I've been wanting to see Knossos for a while, and I don't plan on being disappointed. :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Heraklion

OK, I assumed when you said you had a a day there that you were docking on a cruise, but it makes little difference. Any bus heading for Iraklion from the east will come through the airport to pick up/set down so if it's got "IPAKLIO" on the front, it will terminate at the main bus station as mentioned above.

Iraklion is a vibrant city with a superb cafe atmosphere, there are loads of bars and restaurants that will be open until very late and no doubt some music clubs if that's your scene. Most of the shops in the central area will stay open late too - fashion, jewelery, watches, anything you can think of.

If you are taking the bus to Chania, then it departs from the same bus station as the Knossos buses. Buy the tickets in the main office, the ticket will have the bus number on it, and this will be confirmed on the overhead monitors. The buses carry their number top centre of the windscreen.

5. Re: A Day in Heraklion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Heraklion