We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for me to stay in crete in february

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
best place for me to stay in crete in february

woman alone visiting crete have been ill mobility problems on lots of steps but only 57,want to be in city but nicer end ,,, any ideas thankyou

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for me to stay in crete in february

Even sunny Crete can be very cold in February, especially at night. Make sure you stay somewhere that has proper central heating (not just air conditioning that blows out warm air). Most coastal places will be closed up for the winter so yes, you will need to stay in a city where there is year round life going on. Chania is often described as the most beautiful city in Greece and it has some very nice hotels. As well as the old city most visited by tourists, there is also the new part of town where you will find everyday Greek life going on and plenty of good shops, restaurants etc. However make sure you fly into Chania airport and not Heraklion which is a long distance away.

If it's better for you to fly to Heraklion, maybe consider staying in the city itself or possibly in Agios Nikolaos which I believe is a working Greek town with year round facilities open - but I'm not familiar with either place so I will leave others to comment.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for me to stay in crete in february

Hi there

I would also recommend either Chania or Agios Nikolaos too.... Is there anywhere in particular you wanted to visit while on the island? ... Just bear in mind the location of each town, Chania is on the north west coast with Agios being located on the north east coast....and the airports too.

Agios is less than an hour from Heraklion so a good location for visiting the city if you want to visit Knossos and also only 15 min drive from the island of Spinalonga , although Agios is a tourist town during the summer months there is plenty of shops tavernas and bars open out of season as they still cater for the year round population. I was in Agios a few winters ago and I loved the laid back feel of the town during the winter :-)

Hotel wise have a look at the Hotel Du Lac not some where I could recommend staying during the summer, but a good location during the winter, and right in the centre of town. If you would like any other info on Agios then please do just ask, meanwhile I have posted some links that might be useful

http://dulachotel.gr

explorecrete.com/archaeology/antiquities-cre…

3. Re: best place for me to stay in crete in february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:19