We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

I'm leading a group through EF Tours to Turkey & Greece. We will have port stops in Herkalion (7 am - 11:30 am) and later in Santorini (4:30 pm - 9 pm) on Easter Sunday. It looks like the cruise ship excursions are a bust because both the Knossos Palace and the Archeological Museum will be closed.

Any advice on what I CAN do with 20 students and 17 adults in Herkalion on Easter Sunday morning would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

Hi there

With just 4.5 hours in port and assuming things run on time, you will be rather restraicted as to what you can squeeze in. Even if the ship berths on time, it will take you 30 mins to disembark and get your bearings and of course, you need to be back shipside 30 mins prior to departure, so you have at best, about 3.5 hours.

My polite advice is to simply stretch your legs and take a walking tour of the city's sights, all are within a compact and pretty flat area. If you exit the cruise berths, turn right and walk alng that main road, you will see the Venetian harbour and fortress on your right - use that as your starting point and take either a clockwise or anti-clockwise stroll around the top sights. Any half decent guide book will show where everything is and a logical order to walk to them all.

A rough guide to what to see, starting at the harbour and walking in an anti-clockwise direction...

Harbour & fortress ( fortress is currently closed or at least, was last Sept)

Excavations at Agios Petros church & monastery

Priouli fountain

Ekaterina Square ( cathedral and two adjacent churches)

Bembo fountain

Odos 1866 Market St

Morosini fountain

Agios Markos church

Venizelou Square

Venetian loggia

Agios Titos church

The Arsenali

if you see that lot and have time to fit in a snack lunch ( try the Izmir kebab cafe on Venizelou Square) you'll have had your money's worth.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

Thank you!

Millbury...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

I am planning to be there with my family, on Easter Sunday what we are planning to do is enjoy the celebration which seems to be a huge deal in Greece, specially in Crete. I have read they wash the street with rose water, and at night fireworks. So i would add having a cultural experince like having a nice meal at a tavern. Most likely everything will be close

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,762 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

The fireworks are in connection with the Easter midnight mass. Easter Day is mostly a big family occasion, but you will probably find some taverns open to cater for tourists.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

Pablo, the fireworks and big celebrations are on Saturday night. Sunday is when people get together with their family and eat a big meal, I don't think there will be much in the way of public events on Easter Sunday.

Information about Easter in Crete here:

http://www.livingincrete.net/easter

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

We'll be enroute from Patmos to Crete when midnight hits. Hoping to be close enough to one of the islands to see some fireworks....

Millbury...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

Thank you very much for the feedback, we'll be there for a week over the Easter weekend. We are looking forward for the whole experience

8. Re: Port stop in Herkalion ON Easter Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Heraklion