We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

I am having difficulty finding a tour company in Crete to see spinaloga, Agios Nikolas on a Tuesday in August this year (this is the only day i have in Crete). Is it easy to get a bus from Heraklion to Plaka and across by boat to spinaloga? or can anyone recommend a tour company? i am travelling alone and want to make the most of the only day i have in Crete. Thanks

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

Yes, it is nice and easy using the local bus service. Take a bus from Heraklion into Agios bus station, then a bus from there down to Plaka.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

It's very easy by public transport.

Bus from Heraklion to Agios Nikolaos, from the bus station more or less on the seafront near the port:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

then bus from Agios Nikolaos (the same bus station where you arrive from Heraklion) to either Elounda or Plaka:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Boats go from Elounda and Plaka, and also less frequently from Agios Nikolaos as well. From Plaka it's a short hop, only about 10-15 minutes or so, cost last year was €8 return, boats go about every half hour from the jetty. From Elounda it's not much more in cost, though a much longer journey. The boats from Elounda tend to be much larger, which can cause a bit of a bottleneck at the ticket kiosk on the island (entry is €2 or €3).

On the way back, you should have plenty of time to stop off in Agios Nikolaos and have a look round. Note that the bus station is near the hospital, about 10 minutes walk inland from the centre and the lake.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

The timetables linked to by steve are as of a week ago. They will certainly change by August, so you'd need to check the times nearer the date - there may be more buses from Agios Nikolaus to Plaka. The issue date is shown on 'Main Page', and, so far as I've seen, the link always picks up the latest version.

There will definitely be day excursions by coach to A.N. and Spinalonga, which you can usually book online. However, they usually leave early in the morning - from Rethymnon it was a three hour drive, and we set off at about 07:45. So it depends on where you're arriving in Crete, and at what time.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 16:57
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

I may be wrong, but I think the only changes to Plaka (and Elounda) will be an additional one at about 0900 to Plaka, and the Elounda ones will be every hour, so the couple of hours 'missing' will also have an additional journey back which could be useful. It has always surprised me that the buses never appear to be more than hourly to Elounda, or 2 hourly to Plaka.

Mind you, last time my wife got a bus to Elounda, there was an extra one not in anyone's timetable!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

Thankyou so much for the quick and detailed reply. You have been very helpful. I feel much more at ease now knowing that there are regular buses and how easy it is catching public transport, the above link was very helpful. Thank you once again.

6. Re: Public transport from Heraklion to Spinaloga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Heraklion