We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the airport?

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How is the airport?

I've read some reviews online that the airport at Heraklion is terrible. Some people even said they would never go back to Crete because of this. Is it really that terrible? We will be flying to Athens (so domestic) on an early Sunday morning. I'm hoping this means that the ultra-long wait would not apply in my case. Does anyone have any insight?

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: How is the airport?

Excellent post 'tonyandmandy', which puts it into perspective and is a reminder as to why we all keep coming back to Crete.

And I totally agree with you re AI. One of the many things about holidays to Crete is choosing a lovely taverna to dine in and enjoying the wonderful food, atmosphere and hospitality you will get there, not holing yourself up in an AI hotel for the duration of your holiday only escaping for an after dinner stroll or tour operator organised and scripted excursions.

Happy holidays everyone and just see the airport as a gateway and not a barrier.

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How is the airport?

Perfect words npj60 "happy holidays everyone and just see the airport as a gateway and not a barrier".

That sums it up perfectly

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How is the airport?

We have never had any problems on arrival,in fact they put a lot of uk airports to shame as regards luggage collection and as for departures i think most of us dislike leaving Crete after having such a great time that we probably find fault with just about anything and the airport takes the brunt of the moaning.

It really is not too bad,just enjoy your time in Crete and i'm sure like many of us you'll return time and time again.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How is the airport?

Good tip about the duty free shop, I did look in there last time but it was crammed with Eastern Europeans, I guess the prices are really duty free for them, unlike EEC countries, so it was fill your boots time. I will persevere next time

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How is the airport?

The airport is a lot better now than it was a few years ago - more scanners, and an extended departure lounge. I think for many first time visitors it's the fact they have to pick up their hold luggage after checking in, and take it to the scanners.

It's something you have to accept, and it certainly shouldn't put you off visiting.

And I'm sure it's a pleasanter place if you can avoid Tuesday and Friday, the main Thomas Cook changeover days.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,147 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How is the airport?

Hi again

It used to be the case to avoid Tuesdays as the main change over day for UK visitors but since we have had Russians visiting the island and they appear to be flying in most days, and as they need their passports stamped in and out of the country...it's now difficult to judge when is the best day ......we arrived on Sunday a couple of weeks ago and were held up for an hour behind a Russian flight as they all needed their passports stamped ,.....we left on a Tuesday and the airport was sooo quite :-)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
304 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How is the airport?

The airport is horrid. I have been travelling to Crete for 15 years and some of the areas have not been updated in all that time. There is only one company selling refreshments in the whole airport so they have a monopoly and charge the earth. There are not enough toilets and if you are departing at about 3am (which you aren't I know) then they are usually not very nice after a busy day and night. There isn't enough space inside at the desks and if you are unfortunate enough to travel to the airport to depart on a coach then often the passengers are made to wait outside. It is a bad airport and really lets down such a wonderful island.

In your case you should have no such problems as the domestic departure/arrival area is much better.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: How is the airport?

ok!...

1) MG, Heraklion's busiest day is Sunday, at least from what i've been told from my colleagues in Heraklion area...for Chania's airport for example, Saturday is the big Change Over day of the week, Tuesday and Thursday comes after

2) indeed, the Cafe places at both Heraklion and Chania's airport is indeed kinda of a monopoly and yes, the prices are usually from another planet. Solution for Heraklion's airport: buy any possibly refreshments or snacks from the Vendors that are outside the airport building on each West end (Left as you look at the building from outside) or the Kiosk that is at the Traffic Lights, just before you go into the main outside area of the airport. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that pricey from there to get a sandwich or something

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,147 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How is the airport?

Thanks kostas so that's why it was so busy :-) on a Sunday :-(

I always take food with me ....lots of the local bakers do filled rolls if you don't have SC facilities ..then you only have to buy water at the airport :-)

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How is the airport?

Are there ATMs at Heraklion Airport now? Was reading some forum postings from last August which said that they had been withdrawn and passengers arriving without euros were stuffed! I intend to take enough to pay for car hire but there is no commission for using a Halifax card in an ATM so cheaper than changing here in UK.

Get answers to your questions about Heraklion