We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to santorini

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to santorini

Hi I want to go from Heraklion to santorini for the day the first week in September. Is it advisable to book before I leave the uk as I believe I have seen something on the forum that said tickets sell out quickly. Also, is it better to do your own thing when there I.e. Bus to Fira, Oia etc or is it worth doing the day tour that is offered on www.ferries.gr and takes in Oia, Fira and a swim? Probably prefer to do own thing but worried about availability of transport if busy.

Any advice would be welcome. There are 3 of us travelling.

Thanks

Crete Taxi Services
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Heraklion Taxi
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Tour Experts Private Tours
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Archaeology Tours
Crete-Taxi-Services
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to santorini

hi,for the questions about santorini (regarding the day tour etc) i would post them in santorini forum,much better chance for an informed answer there.

santorini forum

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189433-i245-San…

it will take several hours to get there and back,maybe consider an overnight in santorini?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to santorini

Santorini (Thira) is worth an overnight if you can manage it. It is easy to do.

If you would prefer just a day trip then at the price on the ferries.gr web site it would be better taking their package offer if it is still €120 per person as the ferry alone (non discounted fare) costs €112 return. So the agent is virtually giving you the excursion.

I would choose the Highspeed5 over the FlyingCat4 as it is a bigger boat and less likely to be affected by wind should there be any. And yes they can get booked up so once you have made your mind up there is nothing to lose by booking. It is better to that than being disappointed later if you find you can't get a place. These trips are heavily promoted on Crete by all the Reps and Agents.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to santorini

The journey by the way is just over 2 hours so you get nearly 6 hours on Thira.

Siena, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to santorini

Do I have to book the tickets from Heraklion to Santorini earlier or it will not be a problem??

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to santorini

Gianni P

The original poster was enquiring about a day trip to Thira which I have answered.

What is your question? I don't understand what you want.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to santorini

hi gianni,what month will you be taking it?exact date would be better

Siena, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to santorini

Hi Athanasios! I will be in Crete from 02 July to 09. After that we would love to visti Santorini,too.

8. Re: Ferry to santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17