We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

South Wales
4 posts
Save Topic
Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

Hi there! I am hoping that you will be able to help. My boyfriend and I have decided that we would like to visit Crete this year. We have heard some great things about the island but having never been before (or to anywhere else in Greece for that matter) we are struggling to decide where to stay. We are in our early 30's and would like somewhere with a bit of history/culture to visit in the day but also somewhere with good food and a bit of nightlife for the evening (bars would be good but with the option of a nightclub). We plan on hiring a car so could travel in the day but would probably like a drink in the night so the nightlife would need to be nearby I guess. Also we would rather stay somewhere a bit quieter. Probably being a bit too fussy - which is why I thought best to ask for advice. Thank you!

Edited: 10 April 2011, 09:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,946 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

There are quite a few places in Crete that would suit you, but since you've specifically mentioned history and culture, it would make sense to decide whether or not you want to see the important archaeological sites - Knossos, Phaistos, Agia Triada, etc. They are all in the eastern part of the island. If that isn't important to you, or if you have plenty of time and like long drives, then I think you would enjoy either Rethymon or Chania: both lovely cities in the western part, both with good food and nightlife, and plenty to see in and around them, and great possibilities for drives and walks. Not especially quiet, though - but there are smaller places near both.

If you can say east or west, we can then make more tailor-made suggestions.

North Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

We stayed at the Ideon Hotel in Rethymnon last year, the hotel is near the fortress in the Old Town and is close to many restaurants and bars. Having said that it is not a noisy location. It is about 10 minutes walk to a long sandy beach. If you wanted to travel around there is a good bus service from Rethymnon and if you hire a car you can park in front of the hotel.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

HI there

I think you need to decide really which historical sites that you want to visit in Crete, once you have made that decision you can then come back here and ask for suggestions.

Have a look at this site, which lists the various sites that you may wish to visit

explorecrete.com/crete-archaeology-history.h…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

Hey there!

I would recommend that you stay in Chania, the most picturesque and lovely town of Crete and from there you can make excursions to amazing places such as Balos-Gramvousa and Elafonissi, you really shouldn't miss either of them:

explorecrete.com/crete-pictures/EN_balos-gra…

explorecrete.com/crete-pictures/EN_Elafoniss…

Chania offers a great variety of nice places to eat and nightlife in any form (bars, clubs, etc) and since it has a big local and student population it is not only built around tourists.

Good luck and have a great time!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

I believe that Rethymnon is right place for you. Rethymnon has a 14 km long beach and variety of restaurants and cafes. It is not typical Greek town thanks to influence of Italians. Before Turkish occupation, Rethymnon was under Venetian domination.

Besides, it is app 80 km from Iraklion and Knossos archeological site. Thanks to its position on the central part of the island it is good start point to visit attractions on the eastern and western part of island. You can easily reach beautiful beaches on southern and western part of island (Preveli, Elafonisi or Matala).

It takes less than 45 min to reach Chania. Chania is beautiful but bit bigger. It is good to visit it for one or two nights but Rethymnon is more suitable for holiday. I believe that Rethymnon is excellent choice if you want to combine visiting archeological sites, beautiful beaches and romantic moments in picturesque mountain villages.

Manchester
Level Contributor
313 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

I have the same desires - but Rethymnon town or Plantanes?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

Rethymnon town for sure. It has better night life and cultural and historical sites. Platanes is more for the people who seeks total peace. I do not, it could be a bit boring. From the other hand, Rethymnon has variety of restauranst, coffee shops, bars etc.

Manchester
Level Contributor
313 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

Just come back from Rethymnon stayed at Ideon Hotel ( seaview) and it was fabulous. I am 31 and enjoyed gorgeous beach food bars and lovely people. It has old, new and not tootouristy; my hobby could not find the England match on any where! It was fabulous.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

We also stayed at Ideon Hotel ( sea view room) in Rethymnon at the end of July and about your age group with similar interests. We visited quite a few places including Chania and would definately say Rethymnon is a far better place for a holiday. Chania is just too big and too busy, it doesn't feel like a place you would holiday in.

We enjoyed our time in Rethymnon but if we did go back to Crete we would probably stay somewhere like Plakias or similar.

There's a a massive amount to see and do in Crete but it is quite expensive, almost everything is cheaper back home so don't budget for any shopping!

You'll have no trouble finding somewhere to eat as Rethymnon seems very geared towards food. In fact this creates a problem because there's no real clubs as such (that we could find) as everywhere seems to do food and drink. There are bars but we never saw anywhere to dance etc. The liveliest bars were the ones near the Ideon but they seemed to be more for the locals and we would have felt as though we were intruding on them.

One more thing, when we arrived in Rethymnon we were shocked by all the graffiti. you do get used to this and we did end up not noticing it as time went by but it was a shock!

10. Re: Please help us decide where to stay in Crete!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:16