We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

Hello, my husband and I will be going to Rethymnon soon and I would appreciate any help on the following please:

Snorkelling: I have seen lots of websites stating that the south of the island is best for snorkelling but does anyone know of specific locations please? We will have a hire car for the full two weeks and we are happy to travel to get to the good spots – but no off-roading……I doubt the car hire company would be impressed!

Grocery shopping: Which/where are the best supermarkets in and around Rethymnon (variety and affordability) and are they open on Sunday’s?

Self-drive boat hire: We would love to hire a boat that we could drive ourselves, nothing fancy just a small motorised boat, are there any firms within an hour drive of Rethymnon that offer self-drive boat hire?

Sorry to be so demanding, but I don’t think you can beat first-hand / local knowledge.

Many thanks

Sam

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

I am going for diving and snorkeling to the south coast where we have a beautiful bay in www.kalypsohotels.com I can arange boat hire, with or without captain I can make sailing trips with a big Catamaran Just visit my office for arangements

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

Thank you for your reply Albertdiver, I have sent you a message.

Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

Hi I am going to agia gallini in August and would like to hire a self drive boat while I'm there. We have a car so don't mind travelling to a collection point, can you still arrange this ?

Cathy

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

To rent a boat in Greece is very difficult. You will have to show, licenses, police statements, insurances etc.etc. To arange all this in your holidays is almost impossible, you must do this all before you arive in Greece. To rent a boat with captain and sailor is possible, but do not expect that such trips are cheap days out. Small boats with limited reach from the shore, starting harbor is possible for self driving, but than these you use only for nearby beach trips

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

...does that mean that it is not possible to hire boats in Rethymnon?

Is the North Coast not as good conditions for boat?

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

Surely it can't be that hard to rent a boat in Greece. I went on a lads holiday to Zante and there you could grab a boat and off you go. No captain, cheap prices.

I hope you can do the same in Rethymnon as I go there in July.

Wavre, Belgium
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

Hi,

The ICC - International Certificate of Competence or your "boat license" can be applied for after completing RYA Powerboat Level 2, e.g, in the UK before you travel.

However, I understand that a license is only required for boats with engines over 40hp. I've hired 40hp boats in France and italy without a license. These will do 30 knots with one person aboard (slightly more than 30mph), which is plenty fast over even smooth water! These types of boats are usually coded for 4 or 5 people (don't exceed, or the boat will behave unexpectedly!), and are about 15 feet long. Very simple to drive, and very roomy for 3 people to bring a lunch and have a few hours afloat.

They're normally supplied with seat cushions, removable table, and bimini (sun shade). The operators are to be found along the waterfront at marinas, and you don't have to book in advance, but its best to reserve a boat the day before.

I've run these for a couple of hours at full throttle, without running out of petrol, so they can easily go 30 km in one direction and 30km back, but ask the operator how long you can run for at planing (most efficient) speed, which will vary depending on the size of the fuel tank. Expect to pay about 50 Euro for petrol after your trip if you drive like me, but strangely, driving a much shorter distance at more economical speeds seems to attract a similiar size fuel bill.

So thanks to Albertdiver for his assistance, but I thought I'd share my experiences of self-drive boating in Europe, lest anyone think its a big deal to hire a good boat and instead pre-book an expensive guided outing, or miss out altogether.

Words to the wise:

Save the operators phone number into your mobile and test it works before you leave the marina.

Look backwards at the marina and bay as you leave, so you'll recognise it later when you're returning. Look for landmarks onshore too (or flag the marina on a gps). You'd be amazed at how samey the shore looks from the sea, and how invisible ports can be.

Ensure there are lifejackets for all passengers and get everyone to try them on so they can practice fastening them.

If it goes pearshaped, put on the lifejackets, drop the anchor if your drifting into danger, and phone the operator or the emergency services.

Use lots of sunscreen, as rays get reflected up from the water and you can burn more badly than on land.

Have a general good time!

All the best,

Multidave

8. Re: Snorkelling, Shopping and boat hire advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon
Recent Conversations