We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rethymnon - Advice please!

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Rethymnon - Advice please!

Hi,

My partner and I are looking to go to crete this summer. We've had a look at various places (Platanius etc), and I really like the look of Chania. However Rethymnon has just caught my eye, and I'd like to ask a few questions...

Is there a bus that goes from Rethymnon to Chania in a day? Is it possible to do it in a day? Also we were looking for somewhere not too busy (bearing in mind we live and work in London, UK!!!), do you think it's best to steer clear of Rethymnon in peak season? Just trying to get a good idea of how busy it can get!

Any advice is appreciated :D

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rethymnon - Advice please!

I think you could stay quite happily in either Chania or Rethymnon. Nowhere is going to be exactly quiet at the height of the season, but Rethymnon probably gets fewer tourists than Chania. Both are real working towns where people live all year round. Both are very attractive, though Chania has the edge here, and both have a good choice of eating places and nearby beaches.

There are hourly buses between the two cities, from 6 am to 9 pm, and the journey takes an hour, so whichever one you decide to stay in you will be able to easily visit the other for the day.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 22:54
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rethymnon - Advice please!

Buses to Chania every hour.No problem as a day trip.Most places busy peak season.Lots of relatively empty scenery inland.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rethymnon - Advice please!

Hi there

To a certain degree, it does depend upon what you wish to do and see whilst on the island, that will dictate where to base yourselves. So, if for example ancient sites ring your bell, then Rethymno is better placed than Chania.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rethymnon - Advice please!

There are busses every hour to Chania. Choose a destination, hotel or villa near the town and enjoy the central position of Rethymno

5. Re: Rethymnon - Advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon
Recent Conversations