We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samaria tour

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Samaria tour

Hello everybody, I've been looking but don't seem to find any online booking for a Samaria gorge tour in the middle of June. What should I do just book with local company in Rethymno when I get there or is there any companies you guys suggest that for some reason I can't find online?

Thanks for your help, I'm sure in the coming weeks I will need some advise as my wife and I will be in Crete for 5 nights and we're starting to plan our Itinerary.

As of now we're dead set on the Samaria tour :)

Geia sou

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samaria tour

<<just book with local company in Rethymno when I get there >>

Yes, that's the best way, and yes again, come back with any other questions you have and we'll try and help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samaria tour

You'll have no difficulty whatever booking when you get there: every travel company offers Samaria excursions. You'll be taken to the top of the gorge at Omalos, and you'll walk down it at your own pace. You don't have to walk with the group: the tour guide will tell you where to meet up at the end of the walk. From Agia Roumeli, where the gorge ends, you'll take the coastal ferry to Chora Sfakion and the bus back to Rethymnon.

You will need good walking shoes or boots, with thick soles to protect your feet against 5-6 hours of walking on stones (if you wear ordinary thin-soled trainers your feet will hurt during the walk and for a couple of days afterwards) and deep tread to help prevent slipping (in June there will still be water in the river, and you'll be crossing it at several points on stepping stones).

You'll need to take some food with you: there is none in the gorge; and a small bottle of water, which you can refill from the springs in the several rest areas.

It's a terrific walk, so don't hurry: people will tell you you can "do it" in four hours, but you'll have a good eight hours between arriving and the departure of the ferry, and the longer you take to soak it all up the more you'll enjoy it, and you may still have time for a swim or a beer at the end.

Even in mid-June it will be cold at the top (1200 meters) so you'll need a sweater for the first hour or so. Have a wonderful time: I'm sure you will.

You'll find good information about the gorge and the walk here:

http://www.west-crete.com/samaria-gorge.htm

Edited: 02 March 2013, 08:51
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samaria tour

Thank you so much for the information. I was really hoping Nike running shoes would be okay since I didn't want to pack big heavy hiking shoes but most people are saying hiking shoes are a must! Somebody has finally emailed me back about the trip so I'll probably just go with them as it's a local company in Rethymno and they say it's only 32 euros plus 5, plus 9 for entrance and boat...

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samaria tour

Much of the walk is in the river bed, so you'll be walking on stones all day: little ones, medium ones, big ones. Hiking shoes with thick soles are the only way to protect your feet - and enjoy the walk.

Many people do wear running shoes, and you will even see people doing it in flipflops, but their contorted faces and limping gaits as they emerge at Agia Roumeli tell the story. Pack your hiking shoes. Boots, if you have them, are even better: the ankle support is useful on the unstable stony surface.

It's a good idea to bring some blister treatment with you, just in case: Compeed is good.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 22:52
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,885 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samaria tour

Yes have a look at this pathway and that's the good bit lol

…imageshack.us/img835/5230/20130309122050.jpg

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samaria tour

Thanks Delboy. Your Samaria photos always come in handy. :-)

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samaria tour

I've done the Samaria Gorge 3 times. I personally felt more secure in walking boots (less likely to turn ankle) I did once see someone in flip flops!! It was near the iron gates (towards the end) so they may have done the "easy" tour. Seeing is believing what some folk turn up wearing. Agree, layers of clothes and a cossie for a refreshing swim at the end!

Enjoy, its an amazing experience.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,885 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samaria tour

yes unfortunately I didn't get pics of part of the river bed, as Mrs Db was struggling with a hip. I can only describe the worse part as a sea of boulders, however, the boulders start to get smaller towards the end but you certainly don't want thin sole shoes. One tip is to tie your shoelaces tight at the start, as the steps going down slope and thrust your feet forward

…imageshack.us/img145/6290/20130309140739.jpg

Hi Thira lol

Edited: 09 March 2013, 14:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samaria tour

Good tip, Delboy. The fronts of the toes take quite a beating - true of any long downhill walk, but especially on stones.

Thira, yes, boots are best.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samaria tour

the final time I did it, we took walking poles. The difference! it really took the strain off our knees on the treck down the "steps" bit.

And we didn't have the (what locals call) "Samaria Waddle" the next day!

Also I wore 2 pairs of socks to prevent blisters (but took some plasters anyway) and some thin flip flops. It was heaven to take the boots off at the end.

Ohh it's all coming back to me now.