We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Rethymno to Paleochora?

Kaiserslautern...
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Rethymno to Paleochora?

Hello, we are traveling from Rethymno to Paleochora (two adults, two kids, one baby) and wondering what the best/fastest mode of transport would be for this? Should we bus down to Chora Sfakion and "ferry over" to Paleochora? This looks hard to plan as schedules are hard to read and, if I AM reading it correctly, we would be ferrying all day...or should we bus/taxi over? looks like that route would take us back up through Chania, backtracking from our original arrival point which I really didn't want to do...any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Rethymno to Paleochora?

Bus to Chania then a bus to Paleochora would seem to be the best option. You shouldn't need a taxi unless you are travelling late:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Edited: 22 May 2013, 10:42
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Rethymno to Paleochora?

I am assuming that you are intending staying in Paleochora rather than wanting to do a day trip as I believe a day trip wouldn't be feasible in anything other than a hire car/taxi. If my assumption is correct I would advise going by bus rather than contemplating the ferry option.

The journey would be Rethimno to Hania and then Hania to Paleochora. The only fly in the ointment would be timing your arrival in Hania as, in ealy season at least, there are only 4 buses a day to Paleo. The journey takes about 90 minutes. Google KTEL Crete and choose the Supraregional lines to the villages of West Crete with departure from Hania option for the Hania / Paleo bit of the journey but bear in mind that the timetables do change as the season goes on and what you see today may not apply when you are going to be there.

Posting at the same time as steve_p53. Great minds think alike!!

Edited: 22 May 2013, 10:57
Kaiserslautern...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Rethymno to Paleochora?

Thank you for your responses! Looks like the bus will be the way to go...yes, we are spending four nights in Paleochora, cannot wait!

Chaniá, Khania...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Rethymno to Paleochora?

paleochora taxi have taxi bus for 8 person and baby seat

http://www.paleochora-taxi.com

5. Re: Travel from Rethymno to Paleochora?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon