We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WALES
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches

Staying in Rethymno at the end of the month Which beaches are best suited for young children?

Are there any beaches that are very gentle shelving in the near area?

Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches

I think the entire long strip of beach that stretches for miles east of Rethymnon shelves gently and is suitable for children. I don't know them all, so someone please correct me if that's wrong.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 17:51
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
188 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches

Hi DaiBlog!

I will second Alabastron, the beaches east of town are sandy and gently shelving.

Check out Misiria, Pervolia, Platanes and Adelianos Kampos- eastern suburbs of Rethymno.

(also a good bus connection from the town centre).

WALES
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches

Thanks Alabastron and Anna A will certainly check out those beaches nearby by bus.

Thanks again

Edited: 12 June 2013, 11:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches

Where in Rethymnon are you staying? The decent beaches start more or less straight after the Tourist Office. If you're in accommodation along that stretch ( which lasts for a mile or so before the road turns inland) then you'll have a good beach straight across the road.

WALES
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches

Im staying at the Astali Hotel so very close to the tourist office if my map reading skills are any good.

Can you walk the length of the beach at Rethymnon to get to Misiria, Pervolia, Platanes etc?

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches

Yes you can do that walk, as long as it is on the sand of the beach. The pavement along the beach reaches a point but after that you'll have to walk on the sand.

The beach is gently shelved closer to the marina of the town. As you walk along from the town to Misiria, Pervolia and Platanes it changes from shallow to deep and vice versa. That depends on the day, as the sand moves from one place to another depending on the waves.

WALES
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches

Thanks for the information.

Can not wait to get there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches

From the Astali you're about 150 metres to the sea front; turn right and you have a selection of beaches almost immediately.

WALES
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches

Thanks for all the info.

Does anyone know how much the sun beds on the beaches are?

montreal
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches

if you have a car and don't mind a 20 minute drive, our favorite beach was georgopolous. they have a beautiful long stretch of sandy beach, a fresh water river that runs from the mountains right through the middle of the beach, a turtle sanctuary, and a ton of amazing tavernas where they let you use your chairs for 5 euro and it includes a drink.