We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

knossos

Lancs
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
knossos

We will be staying in Platanes, Rethymon at the end of Sept. Can anyone advise us how to get to Knossos using public transport, thanks.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: knossos

Public bus from Rethymnion to Heraklion. Change to local bus for Knossos. When in Heraklion, dont forget to visit the archeological museum and take a stroll in the town. Its a vibrant town.

LJS
UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: knossos

Public bus from the Rethymnon bus station to Heraklion was 7.60e each way last week. Bus from Heraklion to Knossos (the number 2 bus was 3e each way).

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: knossos

Hi,

The correct route is to take the bus from Platanes area to Rethymnon bus station,

Take the bus to Heraklion to the Heraklion bus station,

And then take the local bus to get you to Knossos from there.

Pinner
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: knossos

Rely on Gerlion as he knows his stuff. I visited Knossos by car from Rethymnon and parked just before the entrance, where the buses stop. There is a good cafe/restaurant where we parked and its a little less frantic than nearer the ruins. They have english speaking guides but take what anyone says with a pinch of salt as there are no written records of the ancient minoan civilisation and most of it is guesswork.

Hi Gerlion, thanks for your previous help.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: knossos

Hi ishairiness! My pleasure to be able to help you!

Pinner
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: knossos

Thanks Gerlion. You may see from some of my postings that we had big problems with Olympic Holidays and their flight agents Small Planet airlines. I would never recommend these companies for holidays and am claiming compensation for the delays etc. The new rules are that any delays (not acts of god such as volcanos and hurricanes) longer than three hours are eligible for compensation. There is a limit based on distance travelled and my wife and I are entitled to £500 each plus out of pocket expenses for food as they didnt provide any refreshments in Gatwick. The holiday in Rethymnon was good as was the Minos Hotel but now we are looking at the rain in good old England! Have a good sunny day my friend.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: knossos

Im just reading this with a view to next years holiday, and I see you also have had problems with Olympic. We booked for Symi on 11/9/13, On the bank holiday they rang and said you can go from Gatwick or have your money back. but we must know by 4pm today. we should have been flying from Brum. WE had our money back from Thomas Cook and booked with some one else!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: knossos

Hey Andi. What has this to do with Knossos ? You aren't even speaking of Crete.

LJS
UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: knossos

Correction to post 2 -

3e is the return fare for the number 2 to Knossos.

Pinner
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: knossos

Andi. There are a number of forums talking about the issues with Olympic. I have been told by my Travel Agent that they now have parted ways with SPA. My agent was of the opinion that Olympic must have paid out a lot of compensation this year. Sorry if this is not about Knossos but I did respond earlier.