We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

What is platanais like in April? We fly out on the 2nd for a week. I am worried that he majority of bars and eaterys will still be closed! Also where r the best places to visit? We have hired a car so can get about.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

Hi, and welcome,

It is a bit early if you fly on the 2nd of April as you say. The tourist season officially kicks off on the time of the Catholic Easter, which is on April the 20th. Most tourist bars and shops will probably getting ready for the upcoming season, and there aren't going to be many tourists by that time.

But ...the weather is usually very nice, warm and not hot, and the nature will be at it's best as it will be spring time.

Also, if you take the local bus, or if you hire a car, you'll be just 15min away from the center of the town of Rethymnon, where there are much much many choices of restaurants, bars, shops etc, that work all year long, and serve the people staying in town. Rethymnon is a Universitiy town and it is a very lively town. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

Great thank you.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

The bus service into town is still reasonable at the moment:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

and there may be later buses back by April, so if you don't fancy driving in the evening you will be fine.

The earliest I've ever stayed in Platanes/ias was in late April, a good few years ago now, but everything was open then. I guess early April will be a lot quieter, but at least you have the 2 big supermarkets which will be open, and I presume the Sky Park taverna/restayurant/bar/grillhouse/club(!) is open year-round??

Some suggestions for day/half day trips:

Arkadi monastery

Amari valley

A drive via Vrisses up to Omalos and the top of Samaria gorge - there will be plenty of snow on the mountains still.

Chania

Knossos and Heraklion - but I suggest you park in the outskirts of Heraklion if you want to visit the town!

and some only really worth doing if you have good weather days:

Georgioupolis and lake Kournas

Plakias

Agia Galini

Chora Sfakion and Frangokastello.

I'm not sure if you've been before - maybe you know all of these places anyway! If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

Thanks so much, that's really helpful info as its my first time in Crete so didn't know much about it.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

That's no problem, lisamichelle. Where are you staying?

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

We are staying at Julia apartments do you know it? Also I wondered if its best to get euros in UK or when we get out there?

north shields
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

hi . its also known as taverna gardens,opposite sky park.bakers next door,bus to rethymnon

across the road,

twenty yards from taxi rank.

check out on google 'rethymnon bugle ' English newspaper comes out every month,will give details of upcoming events in Rethymnon and surrounding area.

phildee

8. Re: Re: Platanais (Rethymnon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon
Recent Conversations