We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches near Rethymnon

Wakefield
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
beaches near Rethymnon

we are holidaying near Rethymnon, are there any good beaches with refreshments

scottybryan

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Rethymnon has the largest in town sandy beach of Crete, stretching from the old town to the east for at least 12 km, there are many cafeterias and bars with refreshments. Most and the best of them are close to the town. Where will you be staying? I can give you better advice if I knew the area

Essex, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Hi there! I'm also interested in the beaches in and around Rethymnon. Thinking of booking the Iberostar Creta Marine ...what's the beach like there? If it's not that good, how far is the nearest beach? Thanks

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Hi

There is a good beach directly under the hotel Creta Panorama which is next to Creta Marine. You can reach it easily, by going down a staircase, on the west side of the hotel. There are also 3-4 harbour like beaches built artificially by the hotel, but I don't know if they are good.

Also in a close proximity there is the village of Panormo, 5' by car, which has 2 very good beaches.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Thanks for your quick reply. Is the beach sandy, or shingle? Also how long would it take in a car to Rethymnon, please?

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

It is sandy, well with a few pebbles here and there if I remember well. The beaches in Panormon, are sandy.

You'll need 20 minutes by car to get to Rethymnon. A very easy ride along the highway.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Very helpful, thanks very much :-)

Wakefield
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Thanks for your kind reply

We are staying at the Leoniki Residence, Plantanes

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Platanes is about 3 miles from the centre of Rethymnon, and the beach there is mainly sand (and very large!)

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

Steeve is right. Also you will be 5' walking time from Leoniki to the very large beachfront

10. Re: beaches near Rethymnon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16