We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy personal care products?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy personal care products?

Hello. We are travelling long term and it's time to replenish the supply of sunscreen, toothpaste, shampoo, face cream (brand such as Loreal, Korres, etc.)

Can anyone recommend where the cheapest place to buy these might be in the Rethymnon area? Pharmacy, or supermarket? We have a car.

Thanks.

Tonya

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy personal care products?

Hey and welcome Tonya:-) Coming from Canada, will you be stopping/flying via Athens?:-) If so, you'll find everything you need in DF:-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy personal care products?

Thanks, but we are travelling long term and staying for about a month in Rethymnon area, so these would be for our personal use. Not sure if we'll go through Athens as we haven't booked flights out.

We don't have trouble finding things, but are wondering where would be the cheapest place to buy since we're on a budget. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy personal care products?

Hi

Both of the supermarkets and pharmacies have those products. No point in buying toothpaste and shampoo from the pharmacies, as you'll have more variety in supermarkets. For the rest choose either from supermarket or pharmacies. The well known brands prices are more or less the same everywhere.

Lidl supermarkets have less known brands way cheaper that the known ones.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy personal care products?

You're welcome Tonya:-) Totally get where you're coming from.. I, too, stay at least a month.. usually for around 5 weeks and find getting all the good stuff.. like Loreal, etc., sun/face creams, after tan lotions, etc., from DF (and yes, for personal use while there) is a convenient option! I also purchase extra to take back with me since I am not allowed many of these items on the trans flight back home;-)

Nonetheless, find toothpaste, shampoos, etc., easy enough to find locally at any supermarket wherever I am whether on an isle or on the mainland;-) Supermarkets tend to be more economical as opposed to what is offered at the pharmacies since the brands at the pharmacies tend to be higher end/pricier;-) Keep Enjoyin'!

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
485 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy personal care products?

In Kriti, the regular supermarkets that locals go to (not necessarily the small convenience stores located by the beaches) have ample supply of the products you mentioned. Korres, however, is a more up-scale brand and you'll probably have to buy it in Athens as Litsa suggested - or - buy it at the Kriti pharmacies that carry the Korres line. Litsa, is Korres also available at the Sephora Shop on Ermou Street in Athens? Gotta love hotels that offer Korres amenities; it's such a super brand! Funny...when I'm in Kriti I stock up on my favorite Piz Buin Bronze suntan lotion and bring it home!!!! But it's a good question tonyalasagna, there's absolutely no need to bring a lot of personal care products to Greece, especially since you're going to be in one place for a while. Basically I only bring small travel sizes of anything I might need for our first few days in Athens. Your luggage will thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kriti Beach Hotel
Kriti Beach Hotel
261 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Ermou Street
Ermou Street
410 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
6. Re: Best place to buy personal care products?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16