We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there enough to do on a 2 week stay

yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is there enough to do on a 2 week stay

Could someone help please I had decided that I would like to go to Rethymnon this sept but my partner has now put a doubt in my mind as he has said would there be enough for us to do. We do alot of walking and do like to get out and about walking. We have been to Hersonnisos and stalis and walked all over there as there is stalis malia etc is Rehtymnon very similar to that area i.e is there other resorts close by it is hard to tell by the map.

Any help would be much appreciated

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there enough to do on a 2 week stay

Hi holmadYorkshire

Hersonnisos and Stalis are two fo the busiest 'party towns' on Crete and together with Malia are really places quite unique on Crete in that respect. However if walking is your thing rather than the more usual activities associated with those resorts there are any number of other places on Crete that would suit you. Theres nothing wrong with Reythimnon but the resort is strung out along a long beach area that to my mind isn't the most interesting or attractive. Chania would be a better bet for me. The city itself is interesting and walking opportunities are enhanced by good bus links to convenient hopping off points for good walks. I'm not an expert on that but there are a number of folk who are and no doubt someone else will be along soon to offer you their ideas.

You might also like to consider Plakias on the south coast (reached by bus from Reythimnon) as there are lots of good walking opportunities around there coupled with an enjoyable small and friendly resort. You can book independently (flying Ryanair to Chania from Leeds) or take a package with Olympic from Leeds. Not sure if they include transfers these days to Plakias though.

Nothing wrong with Reythimnon though if you end up there but it wouldn't be my choice. Enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,457 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there enough to do on a 2 week stay

Rethymnon is a nice city, and actually a better area for walking, if that's what you like best to do, than Hersonissos and Malia. If you decide to stick to your plan to go there, you might like to have a look at the walking tours offered by Happy Walker. It's a Dutch firm, but they've been active in Crete for at least 20 years.

http://www.happywalker.com/

Perhaps you should also consider the south west coast: Loutro is an excellent centre for hill and coastal walks in the most beautiful, unspoiled part of Crete. You certainly wouldn't run out of options there.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there enough to do on a 2 week stay

Hi

You can walk around Rethymnon's old town, an almost completely flat area with many streets and back streets, old houses, monuments from different eras, Venetian doors, the Venetian harbour, and of course the castle of Fortezza. Do not miss a late walk along the promenade when the sun sets, over the castle of Fortezza. Many tourists seize the opportunity for a great photo at that time.

Happy walker, Alabastron mentions is also recommended.

There is also the Hop On - Hop Off bus, that you can explore villages and attractions which are within close proximity to the town. Have a look here:

rethymnocitytour.gr/index.php/routes-and-bus…

Chania has also a beautiful old town, and harbour in a larger scale than Rethymnon.

Two weeks, is too much to spend only in Rethymnon, I'd definitely recommend a second base in Chania.

...Oh and by all means do walk the Samaria gorge, it's unthinkable to be in Crete, love walking and never crossed that gorge. You can choose any travel agency in Rethymnon or Chania (if you stay in Chania too, then choose Chania as it is closer), that offers that tour, or by regular bus service.

For any further questions about Southwest coast beautiful walks, Alabastron's expertise is unique. :o)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there enough to do on a 2 week stay

Thank you all for your feedback it is really helpful having others expertise. I will do a bit of research I think of the ideas of what you have said. We have stayed in hersonissos and sissi and we like it because there where other resorts in walking distance and seemed plenty for us to do, we are not party goers in fact we dont dring so seems funny going to the lively resorts.

Thanks again for all you help

5. Re: Is there enough to do on a 2 week stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:16