We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip of a lifetime

Nottingham
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip of a lifetime

In may 2010 I am planning to visit the Cyclades with my Wife,Brother and Sister in law, for a period of approx 3 months. Looking at the options, I must admit that I'm somewhat overawed by the number and varity of islands to visit. Our start point will be Crete and our first stop probably Santorini. I would be pleased to hear of fellow travellers experiences (good and bad please)and hope to use your feedback to build up an interesting itinery. Thanks in advance

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
821 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip of a lifetime

my islands that u shouldnt miss

if your doing crete then santorini

my fav is folengandros for its beauty like ios so traditional greek a smaller version of santorini without the mayhem ,after folgengandros you can get a boat direct to ios for the best beaches and coves in the greek islands ,manganari beach is where they filmed the big blue , and the deep blue movies, you can take daily boat trips to this end of the island from ios port for approx 12 euros return ,

ios has something for every age your fall in love with it ,

then naxos next a bigger island with a lovely port and nice beach near by

thats my beauty islands come share them with us

oioi

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Three months, Wow! With that amount of time, you don't really need to plan and could make it up as you go along but I'll try to suggest a route which will enable you to move around without losing too much time on the ferries.

From Santorini, there is an established ferry route which takes you to Folegandros, Milos, Sifnos and Serifos in that order. From there, you can get across to Syros which gives you lots of options as there are plenty of connections to Paros (which lets you get to Naxos, Amorgos and the small Cyclades) or you could head to Mykonos, Tinos and Andros. I'm not actually suggesting that you visit all these places - just setting out the options.

A lot depends on how much time you intend to spend in Crete as you could use your entire 3 months there without too much of a problem. It would also be helpful if you could tell us what your interests are so we can give more focused replies.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,333 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Unless you want to live out of a suitcase for three months, it may be a good idea to base yourself on an island with good ferry connections, e.g. Paros or Naxos. Find an apartment or villa to rent on a long term basis, and make short trips to other Cycladic islands from there. :o)

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
821 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip of a lifetime

or ios its easy connections in summer to all islands ie santorini naxos folengandros paros as its situated in middle of all of them and boat stops at ios before departing to all these :>)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Thanks for a very well thought out reply. I'll look at the suggested routes carefully.Crete is only a starting point as we have toured the island extensively, but we thought it would be more straightforward to get a ferry to Santorini

6. Re: Trip of a lifetime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 01:16